Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JSzymczyk

"Hand Tied Flies"

He was calling attention to an amusing advertising trick. It was kind of like a joke.... ;)

What's always puzzled me (and I've seen similar ads for decades) is who do they think they're fooling, and does it actually increase sales? The seller is basically saying "I'm selling to people who are too unfamiliar with flies to not know they're all hand tied," which pretty much boils down to saying "these flies won't pass muster with anyone who know s**t from Shinola about flyfishing." To me it's a warning flag to stay away. I don't see how it can possible increase sales.

He was calling attention to an amusing advertising trick. It was kind of like a joke.... ;)

What's always puzzled me (and I've seen similar ads for decades) is who do they think they're fooling, and does it actually increase sales? The seller is basically saying "I'm selling to people who are too unfamiliar with flies to not know they're all hand tied," which pretty much boils down to saying "these flies won't pass muster with anyone who know s**t from Shinola about flyfishing." To me it's a warning flag to stay away. I don't see how it can possible increase sales.

Exactly!

BTW, I'm amazed at the links to patents that have been provided. I can just see the dudes running into a patent attorney's office "THIS is gonna make me MILLIONS!" I guess that's why these contraptions are on everyone's tying desk today ... :rolleyes:

I have used 'premium hand tied flies' as a tag line on my site since day one simply as an accurate descriptor. Of course I'm not selling mine for $9.99 a dozen either... Perhaps 'locally tied flies' conveys something else, but I would be shocked if it helped sales at all.

Peterjay..........aaahhhhh........uuuummmmmmmmm........I don't know what to say!

You don't need to say anything Chase. That's the kind of stuff I used to make up when my ex-wife would catch me coming home at 5 AM. By the time she could digest the story and think of a response, I'd be fast asleep. It worked for a while, but the fact that she's now my ex-wife should tell you how it came out in the end.

man you really got to watch them eskimo's....lol that is a great story!!!

Peterjay..........aaahhhhh........uuuummmmmmmmm........I don't know what to say!

You don't need to say anything Chase. That's the kind of stuff I used to make up when my ex-wife would catch me coming home at 5 AM. By the time she could digest the story and think of a response, I'd be fast asleep. It worked for a while, but the fact that she's now my ex-wife should tell you how it came out in the end.

I have used 'premium hand tied flies' as a tag line on my site since day one simply as an accurate descriptor. Of course I'm not selling mine for $9.99 a dozen either... Perhaps 'locally tied flies' conveys something else, but I would be shocked if it helped sales at all.

'Locally tied' is only going to make a difference if you're buying in shop; there's some implication that the flies are suited for local conditions. It wouldn't do zip for sales over the net.

At least saying 'premium' adds something; it doesn't seem quite as jolting. 'Hand tied' may be an accurate descriptor, but so would 'hook included'.

Maybe it's because I've had formal training in semantics and am over-thinking this, but there's something called "speech act theory" that says by making an utterance (or writing something) you're trying to communicate something (not necessarily the literal meaning of the words) and the listener (or reader) will interpret the utterance with the thought in mind that "he's trying to communicate something or he wouldn't have said it." Think what would go through your head if someone walks up to you and starts a conversation with "Trenton is capital of New Jersey." Sure it's factual, but you'd go through a lot of possible reasons in your head about why he said that. Maybe he's a spy, it's a code phrase and he's looking for the counter-sign. Maybe he thinks you're doing a cross word puzzle. You'd come up with some explanation and proceed with conversation along those lines. The same is true for including the information "hand-tied" in an ad. People are going to ask themselves why that's relevant information.