Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
RoyalWulff

Buzzer coating that is not epoxy

Hey there everyone,

I am looking to tie up some buzzers, and the good looking ones have epoxy coatings. I was wondering what might be a good coating other than epoxy. I ask because I do not want to go to the fly shop and purchase a load of epoxy for a couple flies. Preferably something around the house would be good!

Thanks a lot everyone

I coat ALL my Buzzers with one of these two;

-Loctite Brushable superglue

-UV Knot sence

The UV Knot Sence give a thicker more epoxy like finish, but the Loctite is INDESTRUCTIBLE!!!!

Rick

I've been using Sally Hansen's "Hard as Wraps". I bought it thinking it was the "Hard as Nails" that everyone uses, it does not get as hard ...kinda a soft chewy feel to it but it maintains the shiny look for me. When the weather gets warm again I'll let ya know how it fishes ...LOL!

Hard as wraps will work good if you're not using Epoxy. One thing that you might consider is tying up a dozen buzzers and coating them all at once using a wheel fly drier. That way you only have to make one batch.

Im using regular clear nail polish and the fish don't seem to mind. Just make sure you do make two layers.

Loon Hard Head. No mixing. Coat 1 fly or 100. About $7.00 at fly shops. Can be thinned as necessary over time. I don't use epoxy anymore. This stuff is great.

Regards,

Streamer

I've used minwax polycrylic before. A coat or two and it looks pretty much like epoxy and you probably already have some laying around. Another option would be Liquid Fusion. I would describe it as one part epoxy that dries nice and quick. I've been using it on the heads of some thunder creeks and been very happy with it. The only problem is it's like $9 a bottle if I remember right.

Cheers,

Mike

Here are some of the things you can use to coat your buzzers.

Sally Hansen hard as nails..... two coats looks best.

Hard as Hulls.........two coats

Loon UV clear fly finish.......... I use this the most.

Liquid Fusion............. It say's it's fast drying , but I have found that you need to put it on in very thin coats or it will drip.

For pattern's..... there is a new book out called Modern Midges by Rick Takahashi and Jerry Hubka......It has 1,000 midge pattern's in it.