Fly Tying
Mickalo

Lead Tape/Foil

I was watching some of Davie McPhail fly tying videos this morning on youtube, luv to watch him tie though a bit hard to understand, and I noticed he uses allot of this lead tape/foil material instead of the wire.

It looks allot easier to work with then the wire but where the heck can you find that stuff? I check a few of my regular online fly materials sources, but couldn't find any.

J.S has something called "Lead Adhesive Zonker Tape" is this the same thing?

Thx's

Mike

I was watching some of Davie McPhail fly tying videos this morning on youtube, luv to watch him tie though a bit hard to understand, and I noticed he uses allot of this lead tape/foil material instead of the wire.

It looks allot easier to work with then the wire but where the heck can you find that stuff? I check a few of my regular online fly materials sources, but couldn't find any.

J.S has something called "Lead Adhesive Zonker Tape" is this the same thing?

Thx's

Mike

You can get the tape at a golf shop . The tape is used to weight clubs.

British tyers also seem fond of using the foil found around the neck of a good bottle of wine. While it isn't as dense as lead, (I suspect its probably zinc) it is a good deal cheaper (if you're a wine drinker.)

Our golf club/shop won't be open now till probably early spring around here :) I recall someone mentioning that before about the golf clubs.

I'll have to check out those wine bottles we have never even thought of that ... kwel

thx's for the tips guys.

Mike

Thanks I guess they do carry it here in the states. I did find a whole bunch of it on ebay under the "Golf" category.

They don't list how much you get of this lead foil though, not real cheap either ;) .

Mike

I use 2 different products. They are;

-Sticky back Lead Tape

-Tungsten sheets.

Here are some links.

Lead tape

Tungsten Sheets

The Tungsten Sheets are great for getting really heavy Czech Nymphs, but it is a bit tough to us as it is very soft and breaks easy.

I buy almost ALL my lead and Tungsten materials from the place in the links (Lakeland fly tying) in the UK. The shipping cost is only 2.50 (Pounds) and that is for 1 or 50 products. I have had nothing but GREAT service from them as well.

Rick

wow ... I guess I'll be able to add a few more online suppliers to my bookmarks. thanks for the help :)

Mike

I strongly recommend the lead strips, they make for a very skinny body or can be layered if you prefer a nymph with some meat on her bones :)

J.

olovofd6.jpg

I've used the lead line weights that come in the little matchbook type package. Wrap it on the hook and add a drop of Super Glue / Zap-a-Gap / etc.

I went to a large sporting goods store and bought wrap that is used for tennis racquets to add a little weight to the top of the racquet. It works great but you need to trim for tying. I think I have a lifetime supply for a couple of bucks.