Fly Tying
5 weight

Mountain Goat

I have a friend with a mountain goat hide he will part with and I was wondering if anyone ties with this. I know the goat is from Bc it's white that goes into a light brown/ tan. I havnt gotten the hide yet and not really sure if i should take it and if i do what would i tie with it. Thanks for the information everybody.

Cheers,

Dave

that's a new one on me... It is hair, or fur, or whatever, so there is no doubt you can tie stuff with it. Give it a go and post some pics.

Go for it! I have access to a (live) llama. I can't wait until the weather gets warmer so I can shear that sucker and see what can be done with her hair.

Take Care!

neoFLYte

Austin TX

I have never handled the material. I am curious to see what yo learn about it. If it's like other goat hair that I have handled, it will likely be stiff, along the lines of bucktail, but I guess I'll wait for you to let us know! They are beautiful animals. I have been pretty close to them before. Not close enough to collect samples though! : P

I have a bunch of goat hair but haven't tried tying with it yet. I gave some to a friend who used it on Salmon patterns as an alternate to Polar Bear. He now swears by it. He claims it has the extra length needed for some patterns, and is easier to use.

The most common "mountain goats" in the northwest are the Bighorn Sheep and the Dall Sheep. I think you can tell them apart by their colour: Dalls are all white, Bighorns are a bit darker and have some brown as well.

I remember reading that Dall sheep makes excellent parachute post for smaller flies. (I don't remember the source, however.) I think it is coarser than caribou but finer than deer.

If you take the skin and want to trade a few pieces, send me a PM. I would like to try some.

Hi Dave,

You've already gotten one post back about using it as a substitute for Polar Bear. It does in fact work really well for that material. When we lived in north Idaho we tied a lot of trolling flies for lake fishing out of goat and it was hard to tell it from Polar Bear. If you held the fly at arm's length it looks the same but it is not as translucent as Polar Bear up close. It sure looks good in the water. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Gretchen & Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com