Fly Tying
Stippled Popper

More Poppers Tied For Display At Raffles

cool beans......i love hand painted poppers. are you using premade popper bodies?

Yes. I use pre-made Hard Foam, Soft Foam, and Cork(when I can get it).

It takes enough time as it is. But there are a couple in the back of my mind somewhere

that, were they ever to move forward, would require me to shape my own.

cool beans......i love hand painted poppers. are you using premade popper bodies?

It takes enough time as it is. But there are a couple in the back of my mind somewhere

I too like to use cork. However, it seems as of late it is hard to find. J Stockard is out of them and have been since last year. WTF?

Anyways, I spent all day tying my poppers and will have some photos up later. Rest assured there Stipple that they arent as good as yours.

I too like to use cork. However, it seems as of late it is hard to find. J Stockard is out of them and have been since last year. WTF?

Anyways, I spent all day tying my poppers and will have some photos up later. Rest assured there Stipple that they arent as good as yours.

I have a back order for pre-formed cork bodies that is several months old. That is why I said "when I can get it". The other thing is that some of the smaller cork bodies you receive in a batch are too pitted to do anything with other than to make poppers for my own use. When I called the firm I ordered from I told them to keep me on the wait list.

"Rest assured there Stipple that they arent as good as yours." Then get crackin' buddy. I don't want to become complacent about what I am doing.

I came up with the two poppers I recently posted with the Rio Grand Cichlid to put in shadow boxes and be donated to help support my local fly fishing club during our annual conclave.

Here are the others I've done over the last five or so years along with a couple of others. Usually do a few of each so I have one for my own collection.

This one was part of the first batch... copies of Dave Whitlock Deer Hair patterns

OrangeSimGreen.png

Tied using a salt water popper body

ChartreuseSWPopper.png

Many of you will recognize this as after the Loudmouth Bass

LoudMouthBass.png

My Crappie or Sac-a-lait in my part of the country.

From the black line of weed along the bottom you can see I've fished this one.

BlackCrappie.png

Blue Pencil Popper

BluePencil.png

Green Pencil Popper

GreenFishFrog.png

Faux Deer Hair

ImDeerChartFrog.png

My take on a Brookie

BrookTroutPopper.png

My take on a Largemouth Bass

BassPopper.png

This one I tied to fish

CalfTailPencilPop.png

Just playing with Black and Gray

GrayPencilPop.png

Mr. Spots

MrSpots.png

Sometimes I do other types of flies

WovenWaspSide.png

Badeebahduh Badeebahduh Badeebahduh thats all folks!

VERY NICE POPPERS...GREAT CRAFTSMANSHIP INDEED. LOVE YOUR TECHNIQUE.

HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE YOU TO PAINT IT & COAT IT FOR THE FINISHED POPPER.

YOU HAVE INSPIRED ME TO TRY ONE MYSELF. I HAVE BEEN TYING FOR 15 YEARS.

THANKS,

EDDIE

Yakattack - Eddie

Small ones take anywhere from 20 to 30 minutes to paint and clear coat. Larger ones can take anywhere from 30 minutes to nearly four hours depending on how much of the smaller stippling is applied and the complexity of the design.

DoctorD - Lanning

Thank you. However, Pelhament and Japasam, to name just two others, have some impressive work displayed here too.

I ordered a dozen cork bodies and received something much larger than expected. The only hooks I had big enough for it were saltwater hooks. In looking around for inspiration for something to do with them, my eye was caught by a perch slider pattern posted by smalliestalker. The image doesn't do the head justice. It will serve as is, but may be tweaked a bit down the road. The tail is still a work it progress. Me thinks it needs a touch of orange marabou and perhaps I'll think of something else to add after I think about it. But this is it for now. It will be a while before more time can be devoted to painting the other three bodies.

PerchTop.png

PerchSide.png

PerchBottom.png

PerchPopper.png

You do make beautiful poppers!!!! On the painting, are you doing it by hand or airbrush? There is certainly a lot of paint work on them.

Ray

You do make beautiful poppers!!!! On the painting, are you doing it by hand or airbrush? There is certainly a lot of paint work on them.

Ray

After a base color or colors is placed with two or more applications of paint by brush, the rest of the painting

is applied by hand with a set of stippling tools such as these created from different diameter needles

and metal rods:

Eye-StipplingToolKit.png