Fly Tying
Stippled Popper

More Poppers Tied For Display At Raffles

I came up with the two poppers I recently posted with the Rio Grand Cichlid to put in shadow boxes and be donated to help support my local fly fishing club during our annual conclave.

Here are the others I've done over the last five or so years along with a couple of others. Usually do a few of each so I have one for my own collection.

This one was part of the first batch... copies of Dave Whitlock Deer Hair patterns

OrangeSimGreen.png

Tied using a salt water popper body

ChartreuseSWPopper.png

Many of you will recognize this as after the Loudmouth Bass

LoudMouthBass.png

My Crappie or Sac-a-lait in my part of the country.

From the black line of weed along the bottom you can see I've fished this one.

BlackCrappie.png

Blue Pencil Popper

BluePencil.png

Green Pencil Popper

GreenFishFrog.png

Faux Deer Hair

ImDeerChartFrog.png

My take on a Brookie

BrookTroutPopper.png

My take on a Largemouth Bass

BassPopper.png

This one I tied to fish

CalfTailPencilPop.png

Just playing with Black and Gray

GrayPencilPop.png

Mr. Spots

MrSpots.png

Yes sometimes I do tie other types of flies

WovenWaspSide.png

Badeebahduh Badeebahduh Badeebahduh thats all folks!

Beautiful poppers. What is the key to get the paint to adhere to the heads? I've had trouble with that. :crying:

I use acrylic paint.

The first step is to brush whatever will be the major background color on the entire head

using a soft brush. Depending on the color this may take several coats.

Additional paint will stick to the earlier layers fairly well. So the background usually takes

care of the sticking to the head issue. Of course some kind of clear coat will be needed

to bring out the colors and protect the paint. Even after a number of coats the resulting

thickness of the paint is usually very thin. A single coat of something like 2-ton epoxy

doesn't add much thickness either.

Oh my word... I need to start wearing a bib before clicking on your threads. I just stare at them with my mouth open until I drool on myself. Those are simply amazing. I would think it would be worth sending some of your images and description of your techniques over to Hatches. You have carved out a unique style that marries your tying skill to your artistic ability in a way that is pretty rare, though I have seen it in a few great tyers.

BTW... the wasp is cool, but I think the wing is a little oversized. Other than that, it's amazing work.

Keep posting... I'll get a bib.

David <><

Oh my word... I need to start wearing a bib before clicking on your threads. I just stare at them with my mouth open until I drool on myself. Those are simply amazing. I would think it would be worth sending some of your images and description of your techniques over to Hatches. You have carved out a unique style that marries your tying skill to your artistic ability in a way that is pretty rare, though I have seen it in a few great tyers.

BTW... the wasp is cool, but I think the wing is a little oversized. Other than that, it's amazing work.

David <><

I agree about the wasp's wings. The sharp taper on the wasp's body created such problems with the overhand knots slipping on me that I've avoided tying any more of this one. Have about 20 under-bodies completed in three different sizes for when I force myself to get back to it.

David <><

I agree about the wasp's wings. The sharp taper on the wasp's body created such problems with the overhand knots slipping on me that I've avoided tying any more of this one. Have about 20 under-bodies completed in three different sizes for when I force myself to get back to it.

I understand that... I once tried applying a thin coat of contact cement to the underbody of a fly with a similar taper. I let it mostly dry and then built over it. It did help somewhat, but really stunk up the tying area with solvent fumes.

wow, very well done, I really like the Whitlock deerhair copy as well as the Faux, materials and colors chosen very well..

Look out to see your next project..

~ floris

I came up with the two poppers I recently posted with the Rio Grand Cichlid to put in shadow boxes and be donated to help support my local fly fishing club during our annual conclave.

Here are the others I've done over the last five or so years along with a couple of others. Usually do a few of each so I have one for my own collection.

Posolutely bah-root-e-full!