Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
troutdogg

Rotary Vise Suggestion - Worth It?

Hello,

I have been tying on Regal Medallion & API Spartan vises for years and have been toying with the idea of getting a rotary vise. I tie anything from #24 to Saltwater fliers so I will need a vise that can handle the full spectrum.............

It seems that the Renzetti Master vise is pretty common and well liked but what about the C&F Reference vise.

Quality looks nice but has anyone seen or used one. I can't even seem to locate the size range of the hooks that it will handle :unsure: .

Well, I hope that someone can make a few suggestions and point me in the correct direction.

Oh, and my moto is "Get The Best Tools You Can Afford" you'll be happier in the long run.

Boy, talk about throwing down the gauntlet...this should set off a few folks...

Assuming this isn't just a troll, I've yet to meet someone who has tied with the C&F vise but I really don't like the knob locking jaws versus the Renzetti's cam jaws. Other than that, it just seems a bit light and over engineered, but that's just an impression from playing with it in the shop, not actually tying with it. The Renzetti Master is a good vise with a proven pedigree, so it or maybe a Dyna-King Ultimate Indexer might fit if you tie larger flies more often. If money really is no object, then take a look at the LAW vise...one constantly hears many of the best tiers sing its praises...just do a search and you'll see some discussions...

And now, queue the "why would you spend that much money on the vise" crowd...

I have never personally tied on the C&F Reference vise, but I know a tyer who does and who raves about it. It certainly has a nice range of accessories and the fit and finish seem outstanding. The only thing is that I would want to tie on one personally before laying that kind of money down, and no shop in my area that I know of carries it. It's a very big investment to purchase it sight unseen. Maybe you can connect with someone at one of the shows. And it isn't the only nice vise out there. If you can get your hands on a good vise, you should know in a hurry whether or not you like it. It has so much to do with your personal feelings. There are a couple of major name brands that are great vises that I don't happen to care for personally. I ended up with a nice vise from a lesser known brand (especially here in the States) and I like it the best of the ones I tried out.

To answer the title question, yes... to me it was worth it.

David <><

I had a danvise for quite a long time, had a zetti for a while, and borrowed a peak rotary vise from a buddy and well....and I ended up buying a HMH standard vise. I found that I hardly ever use the rotary function, and prefer to lay down materials by hand. This is my personal preference, and of course no real concern to you. With rotary I found that faster doesnt equal better. I agree in some respects that you should spend what you are able to, but there reaches a point when you are buying a name instead of a product (almost every zetti product IMO). However, what it all boils down too is whether you like the vise you want, and are willing to pay the price. I plan on buying a law vise eventually, and will most likely use it in the fixed position constantly....but I will be able to say that I own a law vise lol

I own Renzetti 4000 for about three years (and about 3000 flies tied) and I am very happy with it. The cam lock is a treat and the rotary function is very handy. I agree with previous poster that it is faster and neater to lay most of materials (especially dubbing) by hand; I see the benefit of rotary action in something different.

The rotary function lets you adjust the plane of the fly, so you can approach it better. By this I mean things like turning the fly upside down, so the hook point does not get in the way when you dub your body, giving the fly just a small tilt when attaching nymph cover to check it is symmetrical, reviewing the finished fly to check you got both sides right and so on.

For that kind of money I would go for the LAW vice.

I agree. The C&F looks too gimmicky to me, simple is always better. I looked at the C&F web site and once you start adding all of those attachments, you're going to be over $1,000. Buy a LAW, you won't be sorry.

IMHO if you are going to spend that money buy a LAW vise. or a Renzetti Master vise. I do agree with you that you should get the best tools you can afford and i think that it will pay off in the long run!

There were a few nice features on the C&F Vise that were nice. Never seen any other vises with these features before.

-Magnetic Jaw

-Temporary fly hanger.

But. once you want to start adding attachments to the C&F it will cost an arm and a leg.

Any Renzetti you purchase will last you for ever and i belive same with the law vise.

I have no experience with those models, but I would be lost without my rotary vise. I use the rotary function all the time. Not so much for winding materials, but it makes a lot of little things easier. I can epoxy foam flies with the hook in the vise, just rotate it. I can tie Clousers by tying one side, rotating the vise, and tying the other side. I can trim spun deer hair easily because it's so easy to check al angles for evenness by rotating the vise. I could list a lot more, but to sum it up, rotary functions help me a lot.

I think it would be better to go with something cheaper (but very high quality) like a Renzetti Presentation 2000 ($285) or an Anvil($100).

The Renzetti Master is $660 and looks nice, but I don't know anything about it.

But here's a link to reviews for the Presentation, it is said to hold size #28-#4/0.

http://www.cabelas.com/p-0011288319683a.shtml

But if I had $700 to spend I would get my dream vise, the Swiss Master vise.

http://www.orvis.com/store/productchoice.aspx?pf_id=09GH :wub:

My $0.02,

Gage

I have a fixed vise and a rotary vise (both of them are the same brand). For me, it's all about how obsessive/compulsive I happen to be during a tying session. I find that getting flies "just right" requires a rotary vise so you can spin it during the process to check for symmetry. Also, I find it easier to use a rotary vise to wrap components when too much or not enough tension is a factor. But the "bling factor" can also be a consideration. :-)

Guys, thanks for all the input - so now I have a lot to mull over.

Anyway, the Renzetti is an easy vise to find and get parts for including extra jaws and accesories. Don't know much about the LAW vise so can someone point me in the direction of who is selling this in the USA. :headbang:

Hummmm, the TMC vise is interesting - Check out the link

http://english.tiemco.co.jp/project/fishin...modity_code=814

My question is why the change? If it ain't broke don't fix it!

I started to tie saltwater epoxy flies and a true rotary would make this a much easier job.

There isn't a US distributor for the LAW vise. You order it directly from Lawrence Waldron in the UK. I have been tying on mine for 3 years now and wouldn't trade it for any other vise.

Here is the ordering info: LAW vise