Fly Tying
FishyboY

Thinking about building a fly tying table top bench can i see pics of

I am thinking of building a table top bench for my fly tying to hold my tools thread and vise while i am tying. i would like to see pics of yours to give me some ideas of the layout i want!

I just finished this yesterday. Its made from scrap ( an old drafting board for the bottom, some pine and reclaimed wood from a pallet.) Looks better in the pics then in person. My woodworking skills need a lot of improvement.

4360269534_ef2432009f_o.jpg

4360269542_861a39fb3e_o.jpg

This piece is seperate from the base and the top 3 holes are for holding my bead container when its open. I got sick of picking up the beads after knocking them over all the time.

4360269544_1d90138aa6_o.jpg

and before anyone asks the dark holes are from the forstner bit burning the wood. I was too lazy to clean them up since I wanted this done ASAP.

Before starting take all your tying equiptment and lay it out to see just how much will need to be held on the bench. Also measure all of the diameters of your containers/bottles of wax, head cement,etc to figure out the sizes of the needed holes. Build more of a bench than you currently need since this hobby just keeps on growing. This one is just the first of more to come as time goes on. When I get the area where I will be tying and building rods cleaned up ( just need few things like a flame thrower, bulldozer, backhoe and maybe an atomic bomb) , I`m sure I will be making changes to the tying bench.

Brian

These aren't table top ones, but might give you some ideas you can use.

http://www.guysfliesandpies.com/desks.htm

The 7th desk down is enough to cause serious drooling. If it had a door(s) over where the spool rack slides into, it would be the answer to problems with a house full of cats.

Here is the one I finished last month. The lamp/magnifier is part of the bench, and the bottom is covered with non-slip drawer liner. I looked what others had done and made something that met my needs.

- Charlie

post-24225-1266277243_thumb.jpg

I posted this a while back, I've modified it slightly so the new jvice platform fits in the center. I still haven't sanded the edges or stained it and don't know if I ever will, I like the unfinished look for now.

my portable bench

i have been looking through these and have taken much interest in ChuckingFluffs. This is sort of the type i want to build... it will always stay at my desk and i want to have lots of room to expand my collection of threads and tools and such! Thanks!

Anyone ever build one from three cutting boards from Wal Mart? I am told that this is the way to start out. I would like to see photos of the finished product.