Fly Tying
Old Hat

Crawdad

I put this one in the warmwater forum to contribute a bit more here. I have only used this for trout as this is what I have mostly gone after in the past. However since discovering smallmouth fishing last year I am putting some of these in a bass box. It should be effective. this is the only crawfish pattern I tie and fish. It is a variation of a Kelly Galloup fly.

Great looking fly! That has a really nice shape the way the claws are set up. Looks like it would have nice movement when you strip it too.

Are fishing this on a sinktip or full sinking line?

I fish this either with a fast sinking leader or with an interchangeable tip line with about 20' tips of various sinking rates. The fly is heavily weighted with lead under the body.

Great looking fly! That has a really nice shape the way the claws are set up. Looks like it would have nice movement when you strip it too.

I like this design for that purpose. The spun head does a great job of pushing the claw strips out away from the body and keeping them from just collapsing on the strip.

Here's a couple other shots. I put them in the database but they are HUGE! when you open them.

post-13329-1266626743_thumb.jpg

post-13329-1266626772_thumb.jpg

Wow..Carl what a fly. Fabulous tying, I know using this would be unabashed murder on Smallmouth bass. I have to order some squirrel strips and try my hand at it.

A new addition to the fly pattern database has been submitted by Old Hat:

Pardner, that fly reminds me mighty powerful of that carn-sarned Yosemite Sam. Good looking fly, Old Hat!