Fly Tying
bjames36

Dr. Slicks restored

Could it be that some people understand little about sharpening scissors with aluminum foil and prefer not to clutter up the forum with messages adding no value? Just my 2 cents...

Could it be that some people understand little about sharpening scissors with aluminum foil and prefer not to clutter up the forum with messages adding no value? Just my 2 cents...

I usually read a lot of posts that have nothing in them i can contribute to, so i don't bother with a reply.

Posting around noon on friday a lot of people are just skimming through the boards while on break or heading elsewhere with little or no time to reply.

Now this scares me since i think i know how it works. If you look at your scissors edges you will see they bevel away from the area that the blades slide past each-other. If you cut a metal (al. foil) then you will scar the edge were the 2 blades meet starting a bevel going the other way. While it teporarily works to give 2 sharper edges it also works at taking the sharp edge away from the contact point. After a couple of times you will not be able to get them sharp enough to overcome the gap that has been made between the contact area and the sharp edge. That means they are completely ruined.

If you take them to a place that has the right stones mounted at the right angle they can grind away on the bevel making the contact edge sharper with-out creating a gap between the contact edges.

My Grandmother had a pair that she had had since was young. A couple of times a year she would have them sharpened right. I hated those things since she kept them so sharp i would occationaly cut my finger trying to wipe them off. Over time they were sharpened enough that the tips had to be reground to keep them right. If you use the foil trick they will be unsalvegable after several times.

I usually read a lot of posts that have nothing in them i can contribute to, so i don't bother with a reply.

Posting around noon on friday a lot of people are just skimming through the boards while on break or heading elsewhere with little or no time to reply.

Now this scares me since i think i know how it works. If you look at your scissors edges you will see they bevel away from the area that the blades slide past each-other. If you cut a metal (al. foil) then you will scar the edge were the 2 blades meet starting a bevel going the other way. While it teporarily works to give 2 sharper edges it also works at taking the sharp edge away from the contact point. After a couple of times you will not be able to get them sharp enough to overcome the gap that has been made between the contact area and the sharp edge. That means they are completely ruined.

If you take them to a place that has the right stones mounted at the right angle they can grind away on the bevel making the contact edge sharper with-out creating a gap between the contact edges.

My Grandmother had a pair that she had had since was young. A couple of times a year she would have them sharpened right. I hated those things since she kept them so sharp i would occationaly cut my finger trying to wipe them off. Over time they were sharpened enough that the tips had to be reground to keep them right. If you use the foil trick they will be unsalvegable after several times.

Makes sense to me. You can have your scissors sharpened for a few bucks. There's something about cutting foil on purpose that goes against common sense IMO.

[/font]

I have had these extremely dull Dr. Slick's for years and kept them around because they served me well for many years.

Last Sunday I happened to come across these utube videos of people sharpening scissors with aluminum foil.

(search sharpen scissors aluminum foil) I tried it and they will cut again. I tried them on hackle, deer hair, paper and it is amazing.

I figured this had been around awhile so I was wondering what the catch is, like is it short lived, will it ruin the scissors or what's the catch and why haven't I heard of this before. I know I have searched "sharpen scissors" before without seeing the aluminum foil method.

Has anyone tried this before?

Here's one video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/932701/sharp..._aluminum_foil/

I have had these extremely dull Dr. Slick's for years and kept them around because they served me well for many years.

Last Sunday I happened to come across these utube videos of people sharpening scissors with aluminum foil.

(search sharpen scissors aluminum foil) I tried it and they will cut again. I tried them on hackle, deer hair, paper and it is amazing.

I figured this had been around awhile so I was wondering what the catch is, like is it short lived, will it ruin the scissors or what's the catch and why haven't I heard of this before. I know I have searched "sharpen scissors" before without seeing the aluminum foil method.

Has anyone tried this before?

Here's one video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/932701/sharp..._aluminum_foil/

welcome bjames36, i tried it "its works" but i kindof agree with drvette. its maybe not be good in the long run i thought i was the oldest guy on here. i just turned"66". i love this forum. i'm learing lots. agein welcome! this is my first post

Tried it on my dr slicks and they seem a little sharper, Thanks. I also ordered the Dr. Slick tungsten carbide scissors to try and avoid dull scissors in the future.

Gerry J:You guys are kids.78,still tying,fishing& aint got the shakes.Must admit that I hadnt tyed for many moons.Started about this time last year.Usually fish on a 17ft.Sundance alone.Took up fly fishing again cause I couldnt throw a castnet.Fish the ICW out of Carolina Beach.Former Marine many years in the 03 field.Thats where you walk.

Really enjoy the site&have gotten a bunch of great tips etc.Presently tying a bunch of EP flies,Clousers&a couple crab patterns for trip mid April to Islamorda.To the purists...also bringing couple spin rods.

be careful i used to use the foil trick and it killed my best sissors. had to have them reground to salvage them in a pinch it works but they now sell sharpends that you slide sissors through like your cutting something and it sharpins them their only 3 bucks at wally world.