Fly Tying
NJFlyMAn

Tying flies and listening to music

other than the 5th time this topic has been posted.....

i like a lot of classic stuff. like

-Led Zeppelin,

-MGMT

-Modest Mouse

-The Killers

-Jimmy Buffet

-U2

-Pink Floyd

-The Doors

I like...Hmmm

1. Something Corporate

2. The Used

3. Hurt

4. The Seahorses

5. The Verve

6. Porcupine tree

7. Bayside

8. 30 Seconds To Mars

9. Dashboard confessional

Right now I'm listening to Our Lady Peace and trying to clean enough of the room that my fly tying desk is in....so i can clean my fly tying desk. ah....house cleaning, gotta love it!

Right now I'm listening to Our Lady Peace and trying to clean enough of the room that my fly tying desk is in....so i can clean my fly tying desk. ah....house cleaning, gotta love it!

Just checked out Our Lady Peace.. Wow they have some nice songs..Thanks for posting them..

I like the songs..."All you did was save my life" & "Somewhere out there"

The main type I listen to is ska...

1. Streetlight Manifesto

2. The Waffle Stompers

3. Brand New

4. Queen

5. Bruce Springstein

6. Billy Joel

7. Reel Big Fish

8. Blink 182

9. Sum 41

10. Suburban Legends

11. Patent Pending

I don't really have one type of music i listen to, i just listen to all types.

Always.......

1. Evenescence

2. Linkin Park

3. Dave Mathews

4. Jack Johnson

5. Owl City

6. Smashing Pumpkins

7. Incubus

Pretty much whatever floats my boat at the moment. Does anyone feel like it influences your tying???? I know if I am tying very delicate small dries I really need something a little mellow or I tend to blow them up. But if I'm tying big nasty meat and potatoes flies I throw on something a bit harder and get rollin' with a vengeance almost.

Steve P...Good choice of music...I like all them bands.. I'm with you about music and setting the mood right when tying flies..

I think this topic for more of the younger generation of fly tyers, I don't think to many older generations of tiers listen to music while tying, not saying there are any out there I'm just saying it a lower number probably.

I think this topic for more of the younger generation of fly tyers, I don't think to many older generations of tiers listen to music while tying, not saying there are any out there I'm just saying it a lower number probably.

You make a good point..All the older fellows I know, smoke a pipe, cigar or drinks some wine. but never has the music playing when tying..

That's funny because my tying mentor (so to speak) was the one who got me into listening to music while I tie. He explained it like this.... if you have something to occupy your brain while you tie then it will be much easier to tie a dozen or so flies and never know it where as if you don't have something to occupy that part of your head you'll be thinking #4, #5, #6 and you'll get discouraged counting. I know from personal experience that I have tied every hook in a bag before I realized how many I had tied just because I was paying attention to the fly and not how many I tied. He is also my senior by 30yrs plus. Just in case he ever makes it over here... THANKS MIKE

Steve

That's funny because my tying mentor (so to speak) was the one who got me into listening to music while I tie. He explained it like this.... if you have something to occupy your brain while you tie then it will be much easier to tie a dozen or so flies and never know it where as if you don't have something to occupy that part of your head you'll be thinking #4, #5, #6 and you'll get discouraged counting. I know from personal experience that I have tied every hook in a bag before I realized how many I had tied just because I was paying attention to the fly and not how many I tied. He is also my senior by 30yrs plus. Just in case he ever makes it over here... THANKS MIKE

Steve

Hey,, thanks for sharing that with us.. I never stopped and thought about it that way...Now, I'll always try listening to music when tying a bunch of flies.

I usually have something on. Itunes genius mixes - pick a mood and it does a pretty good job...

Its hard to put any music on and hear it with my 15 year old son playing his guitar from after dinner until he goes to bed. He plays all kind of rock so its pretty good except when trying to listen to tv. A lot of Rage Against the Machine, Nirvana, U2, Beatles, Red Hot Chili Peppers and more.

Kirk

Its hard to put any music on and hear it with my 15 year old son playing his guitar from after dinner until he goes to bed. He plays all kind of rock so its pretty good except when trying to listen to tv. A lot of Rage Against the Machine, Nirvana, U2, Beatles, Red Hot Chili Peppers and more.

Kirk

At least he has taste!!!

Steve