Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
LeweyS

Go To Fly Pattern

What is your "go to" fly pattern for warm-water fishing ( Panfish, bass, etc )? I usually go for a small popper if I want to "test the waters" in a new area or if fishing is slow with everything else.

I don't have a single "go to" fly that I use, but instead a small group that I've had great success with over many, many years.

For either bass or panfish, and during warm weather, poppers are my favorites. Any time they don't seem interested in surface flies, my subsurface choices would be Clouser Minnows, Seaducers, Rabbit Strips, Deceivers or Half & Half's, large Krystal Buggers for bass, and nymphs or Woolly/Krystal Buggers for panfish. I'm very partial to olive or black nymphs & white buggers.

In the waters I fish the most, these choices work about 98% of the time. They've also worked in many situations on waters I've fished for the first time. :)

For me it's always a good ol' bugger in various colors mainly black, olive, and orange. Also variation like crystal bugger, or rubber leg buggers.

Went out today, wasn't catching anything on all these different patterns tied on a olive beadhead bugger, second cast 3 pound bass.

after that is poppers.

Size 2 black and blue popper...any creek, anywhere for bass. Love a good black and blue popper, especially in shaded bank lines, overcast days, and at night.

Chartreuse/White clousers in size 4 and 6 always seem to drum up something for me.

Very good choice! Top producer for bass anywhere.

Usually tie in a tandem compose of a #14 Beahead Casual Dress and a #12 Royal Coachman. A minimum 30" between both to test surface and subsurface takers. Will often get a double if the coachman catch first.

Good for smallies, crappies and even trout. A whole lot of fun guarantee. :)

gill killer pattern i use is a form of soft hackle.

size 10 3906 wet nymph hook.

brown schlappen fibers for tail.

peacock herl body.

twisted (furled i guess) brass or copper wire. thin craftstore. i also twist one strand of flash in with this. wrap forward.

large oversized tan saddle hackle on front. just 2/3 wraps on this. when finishing the head sweep hackle slightly back.

works well, doesnt sink a whole lot...........cruises nicely in the water during strips.

also "bull creek craw" listed earlier has brought in quite a few lately as well.

ill tie up an un-beaten/new one and post a pic of it when i can remember. too busy replacing white and black leeches last night. my experimental got robbed this weekend due to using too light tippet.

camoham

This is my go to popper, sorry about the quality of the picture, my cell phone camera is terrible. I use this as my "exploratory popper" in new waters.

post-26166-1272997426_thumb.jpg

Tough question. I have go to patterns for different types of water. River smallies in the rocks Coyote Ugly. River smallies in the open water Golden Shiner. Largemouth around docks and lilly's Spidergrub. Smallies and largemouth in deep water Deep Goby or Bug Eyed Frog. Smallies and largies on open sandy bottom Kzoo Craw. Smallies in the great lakes Craws Shiners and Gobys.

If I had one fly to fish in any situation and only one fly its a Bug Eyed Frog hands down but "one choice" is different than a "go to" fly.