Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Flytyer14

NOOO!!!

My vise broke, now i'm tying on a pair of pliers with a rubber band to hold them together. Any better suggestions?

Thanks as always!

-Mark

Make sure to file the teeth of the vice grips smooth or else you will indent the hook with the teeth marks in the vise and weaken it. Man, you better get to cutting grass, painting houses, landscaping, delivering newpapers, wash cars or whatever it takes to make some money to get a decent vise. Don't rush, you are addicted so you will want a good one - be patient, earn your money and get a good vise.

Don't use a vise and you can call your tying business, Hand Tied Flies.

Kirk

sounds like you need to either get a job or go out and buy another vise if you've already got a job.

Bad luck, Mark. However...John McCoy started out tying with vise grips and a bent

straw for a bobbin. I know you are just getting interested in Salmon flies...the old

masters rarely used vises at all, and the ones they did use were extremely primitive.

Most of us love tools, and would love a shiny $700 full-rotary with every sort of knob, gadget and gizmo,

but the more I learn, and the more I tie, the more I realize most of us place far too much importance on vises.

Just look at all the repetitive post..."What vise should I get?" "What's The Best Vise?" "Should I Get A Rotary?"

Unfortunately, there's not near as many post asking about recommended instructional books/DVDs, etc.

A month or two ago, I was seriously debating shelling out for a Renzetti Master or a Law. I've since decided

that I don't need a Rolls Royce vise, and am searching for a vintage Allcocks 654 (or similar) instead.

If I were you, I'd use vise grips for now, and buy myself a simple, inexpensive vise when you can (you can get a

Thompson Model "A" on E-Bay for $12-$15). And then work on collecting some decent material and perhaps a fly

tying book or two. I'm not saying you shouldn't want or eventually get a nice, good quality vise... just understand

that there are more important things than expensive fancy vises. The most amazing tier I've ever seen, uses a

vice which cost under $85.

This is just my humble 2 pence. I respect that there will be those who disagree.

Mike

I wholeheartedly agree with Arkansas Mike. Find a Thompson that will last you through years of fly tying until you think you just have to have a "better" vise. I tied for my first ten years on a Thompson and I still tie on it on occasion because it sits on the shelf and calls me back into focus.

I'm with Carl on this one nothing more durable then a Thompson A vise its what I started on and tied on till 2 years ago now one of my buddies has the vise and ties on it to this day its over 25 years old and still holds a hook without any problems

man, that's simple. No one wants to tie on a pair of pliers, that's not easy. So, go to the adult who lives with you and say "i need $100, NOW!" when he/she flips out and says "no freaking way! what do you even need $100 for?" just reply with "Drugs, lots of them." Then, when he/she starts to beat you senseless for thinking you turned to drugs just try to utter "ok, ok, i'll give up drugs if you give me $20 for a cheap vise from Jstockard, a forum sponsor.....I'LL GIVE UP DRUGS!!!! JUST BUY ME A VISE."

see, trade a fake vice, for a cheap vise.

a cheap vise is better than pliers, then save for the cadillac of vises someday.

My father is buying me a danvise if i get some strait A's for a while.

LOL oatka!!

There is no fix. I tried everything.