Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
cgolf

Best Vise under 200

All,

I am looking to get a new vise for christmas. I currently have a danvise and am happy with it, but am looking to upgrade a bit. I am looking for a vise that has the ability to rotate 360 degrees for fly viewing, but not really to be used as a tying aid (danvise would be used for buggers etc).

As for what I tie, anything from size 24 midges to size 4/0 musky flies and also some deer hair bugs. For the deer hair bugs I have been using a cheap non rotary vise which I could continue to do in the future, so that would not be a requirement for the new vise.

Thanks

cgolf

I'm just wondering what you think you can get for under 200 bucks that you don't already have with DanVise? There must be something the DanVise is not doing for you and that is why you want a different vise, right?

I'm just wondering what you think you can get for under 200 bucks that you don't already have with DanVise? There must be something the DanVise is not doing for you and that is why you want a different vise, right?

The DanVise has been pretty solid for me, but I really don't like how the rotary is set up. I have it set up full loose right now, which can make it difficult to apply thread tension at times (jaws want to rotate). For some reason when I tighten it up, the rotation becomes jerky. The vise as it is works great for buggers etc, but is tough to tie smaller flies with due to the free rotation. What I am looking for is a vise that will rotate smoothly and stick at the point you stop. This may be difficult for the danvise due to all of the mass on the jaw assembly. The other issue is at times it does feel weak when applying lots of thread pressure when tying some bass flies which is why I switched to a cheap metal vise for these kinds of flies.

For rotary tying like buggers and bivisibles the danvise is tough to beat, I just am looking for another option when tying nymphs, midges, and parachutes. Maybe a bargain basement vise with midge jaws would be good too, not sure.

Thanks

cgolf

For a "true rotary" vise in that range, Renzetti Traveler. For a standard rotary, HMH Spartan. If you could spend a few more bucks, I'd add the Dyna-King Trekker to the mix as well.

The DanVise has been pretty solid for me, but I really don't like how the rotary is set up. I have it set up full loose right now, which can make it difficult to apply thread tension at times (jaws want to rotate). For some reason when I tighten it up, the rotation becomes jerky. The vise as it is works great for buggers etc, but is tough to tie smaller flies with due to the free rotation. What I am looking for is a vise that will rotate smoothly and stick at the point you stop. This may be difficult for the danvise due to all of the mass on the jaw assembly. The other issue is at times it does feel weak when applying lots of thread pressure when tying some bass flies which is why I switched to a cheap metal vise for these kinds of flies.

For rotary tying like buggers and bivisibles the danvise is tough to beat, I just am looking for another option when tying nymphs, midges, and parachutes. Maybe a bargain basement vise with midge jaws would be good too, not sure.

Thanks

cgolf

Sounds to me like your just tightening it up too much. I don't have that issue with my DanVise also when I am tying a smaller fly I tighten it up and if I want to use the rotary feature I untighten it the tighten it back up when done. It isn't that difficult to do mid tye. Also you might have a bearing problem and if so you might want to contact Al Beaty and ask about it to see if there is something that can be done to fix the issue.

As for vices in your price range I second the notion of the Traveller I looked at and it is a solid vice no doubt.

My choice given that price limit, would be the HMH Spartan. Solid vise, optional jaws excellent workmanship.

My top choice in that range is the HMH Spartan. I bought one to use primarily as a travel vise, but I've found that I I actually prefer the Spartan for trout stuff over my Dyna King. The Spartan midge jaws may be the finest small-fly jaws on the planet.

Also in that price range is the PEAK vise. I tied on a PEAK for several years, and really enjoyed it. There are things about the PEAK I preferred over both my Dyna King and my Spartan. Note that you will not be able to tie the whole range of sizes you mentioned with the standard jaws on the PEAK. For that matter, I'll bet that the standard jaws on the Spartan may struggle a bit at the high end of that range, as well.

Actually the $100 Anvil is rotary, just not true rotary in the traditional sense :)

J Stockard has a sale going on...

Peak Rotary was $143 now with $20 off (I believe).....$123 is an incredible deal!