Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SSJChar

Dries that don't use hackle?

Hey all. I was going to do a forum search, but i actually don't know how I'd search for this, but I was wondering if anyone has any dry flies that don't use hackle. I'm currently in the mood for tying some dries, but i don't have any dry fly hackle right now. I was thinking an elk hair caddis would still work without any hackles, but anyone else have any suggestions/tying recipes for hackless dry flies?

Hey all. I was going to do a forum search, but i actually don't know how I'd search for this, but I was wondering if anyone has any dry flies that don't use hackle. I'm currently in the mood for tying some dries, but i don't have any dry fly hackle right now. I was thinking an elk hair caddis would still work without any hackles, but anyone else have any suggestions/tying recipes for hackless dry flies?

hey if you find anything out on this subject please pm me im also doing a little reasurce ill fill you in with what i got in a bit. :blink:

Search for X-Caddis, Comparadun, Sparkle dun, Letort Hopper for starters. Lots of others. Many Stonefly and Hopper patterns don't use hackle.

An Elk Hair caddis patten can be tied with nothing more than some dubbing. and Elk Hair. The fuzzier the body, the better. When treated with some floatant, it will float just fine, and fish very well. I have tied and had success with them that way for year.

A very common may fly pattern that uses dubbing and deer hair is called the comparadun. You can look these up on the Internet, or search the datbase here for many examples. Use the finest texture deer hair you have. Common tail materials would be moose body hair, elk hair, deer hair from the hock, or z-lon material. Body dubbing is ulta fine dubbing material, and the wing, is fine deer hair (coastal deer hair prefered.) These can be tied in sizes from 10 to 20 and in any color you like.

A very good cripple pattern can be tied with just pheasant tail, copper wire, dubbing, and deer hair. Tie in the pheasant tail fibers for the tail. Tie in fine copper wire for the rib, use pheasant tail fibers for the abdomen. Wind the rib. Dub a thorax with fuzzy dubbing to represent the emerging insect, and tie on a deer hair wing extending out over the eye. This wing should be fairly short, about half the length of the body. Pick out the dubbing a little instead of using hackle for the legs.

If you can't locate an images, I will post some later. My avitar is an example of a comparadun, but this one is tied upside down to ride point up. The tail is mallard flank since is doesn't need to help float the fly.

thanks for the replies guys. I tried tying a comparadun and i hope to use it tomorrow, assuming it won't rain. I like it because its silhouette is so much different than an elk hair caddis.

Doug Swisher and Carl Richards did some no-hackle drys in their first book.

On Fly Tying The Anglers Art television show they did a elk hair mouse that was a dry fly all you need is elk hair a 2/0 hook and soemthing for the tail. They used burlap string from an old burlap sack but also mentioned using an old chamoise.

While I am a self-admitted hackle junky, I do find it easier/better to go with options that don't need hackle sometimes. Here are a few:

X-Caddis:

Hopper:

Fripple (mayfly):

Beetle:

Foamerger (midge/mayfly):

Two that I don't think have been mentioned yet are the Usual and the Haystack by the late Fran Betters. The Usual uses hind snowshoe rabbit feet, and the Haystack should be tied with fine deer hair like the coastal type mentioned above and tied not so neatly. Both work really well in a bunch of sizes.

Regards,

Mark

Just to add to the list, the Quigley Cripple can be tied without hackle and will fish just fine. The Wyatt's Deer Hair Emerger is also a good hackleless pattern. Add to this the aforementioned X-Caddis and Comparadun, and you pretty much have the gamut covered.