Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chris norris

Lake Ontario tributaries

Hey all. Hope everybody is doing well. I have been salmon and steelhead fishing the Oswego and Salmon river for years. Actually went to high school up there. Well all my fishing up there has been spin fishing. I have recently taken my gf up there for the recent salmon season but heading back up there for the December Chromes. We both have recently found a love for tying flies. We are looking for ideas for flies to take with us since we started fly fishing this year, not real good at it yet. Luckily most of the fishing up there is drift style fishing cause the current of the river. I have been reading a lot online about the color purple being really good for Chromes. Would appreciate all and any ideas or helpful hints. Not just on flies but equipment as well. I know for equipment wise you get what you pay for but please keep in mind we are on a budget, gf decided to go back to college and get another degree, but also since we are new to this we may break stuff.

not that this is much help, but I am on a business trip this week in Victor, NY, just southeast of Rochester. I stopped today to look at a little stream (possibly Fisher's Run, but I'm not sure) that is perhaps 25 miles from the Lake, and there are salmon it it!! It's a small stream, brush choked and hard to get at. Don't know how it could be effectively fished, but one salmon I saw was easily 15 pounds.

Yeah we went up to Oswego first weekend of October and we caught salmon all over 20lbs and few browns good times. The steelies run in december that is when we are going up again

Fishers is a trib that runs into irondequoit Creek wheich gets fish when there is water

As far as flies.....wooly buggers with and with out bead heads......stoneflies......caddis patterns (caddis green ice dubbing body, copper rib, a turn of partridge, and peacock herl wrapped at head)

When up on the SR stop into Malinda's fly shop (Altmar, NY)....tell her VERN-O sent you....she can help you out!!

I fish the Salmon river a lot. When it comes to Salmon, throw anything at em'. Estaz patterns, glo-bugs, and anything that will tick a salmon off will work. After a few long hard years of fishing, I've realized it doesn't really matter for salmon. Now Chromers and Browns are a different story. Leeches, Big Juicy Nymphs, small egg patterns, Large Caddis dries, and deer hair mouse patterns from February- May work really well. Are you familiar with SalmonCrazy? It's a great online forum dedicated to salmon and steelhead fishermen from the southern coastal tribs of Ontario. A majority fish the Salmon River, so you get good, accurate details. Also people keep reports posted. The reports are much better than the ones posted by the DSR. On SalmonCrazy, theres forums set up for fly fishing, patterns, and fishing techniques, plus more. Look me up on there, SalmoTrutta415. Good luck in you endeavors on the Salmon River!

Tight Lines, Screamin' Reels!

Heading up Friday night. The reports on SalmonCrazy indicate a lot Steel and Browns in the river. Water is running a little high right now. Seems to be a bit of rain in the area. What would you recommend for high water low viability?