Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bob21

Kaufmans Stone

Im going to start tying them. I just need to go out and get the rite dubbing. I am just confused with one thing. Most of the recipes Ive found online call for TMC 300 hooks which are 6x long. So for example if Im trying to imitate a size 4 Salmon Fly nymph am I going to use the size 4, 6x hook. Or if Im trying to imitate a large golden stone nymph that is a size 8, am I going to use a size 8, 6x long hook?

It just seems to me like a 6x long hook would be too big. But maybe Im wrong.

i googled for the recipe and found 3 different hooks to tie it. mustads, dai riki, tiemco

use what you feel comfortable with

Unless the flies are a consistent size and the fish are really finicky then it shouldn't make too much of a difference, just observe the hook and if it looks to big before you've put materials on it, then chances are that you won't be satisfied with the final outcome. I would suggest something like a size 4 3xl or 4xl for a size 4 stonefly nymph.....I would agree that a 6xl would be overkill, plus I've found that the longer a shank is ...the weaker the hook will be.

Regardless of hook style, you don't want the shank to be longer than the insect. Your best bet is to consult a good reference book such as Schweibert's Nymphs for the sizes of the stoneflies you will be imitating. As Kauffman points out in his book Tying Nymphs most species are between 3/8 and 1 3/8 inches. (Although Pteronarcys can be up to 2 1/2 inches.)

I like to tye my "semirealistic" stoneflies on a salmon hook. AJ spey hooks come in a range of weights and give the fly a subtly-curved body.

I imitate a large golden stone nymph that is a size 8, am I going to use a size 8, 6x long hook?

This was tied on a Daiichi 1270 #8

post-3955-1289335060_thumb.jpg

For some nymph flies and stones, I like using TMC2302

"Slightly humped shank, Down eye, Standard wire, 2X Long, Forged, Bronze.

For Caddis, Hoppers, Stoneflies, Terrestrials."

TMC 200R and Mustad C53S are nice too