Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Bryan Wright

Buffalo fur

So in my score from the taxidermist I got about an 8 inch square of buffalo. I washed and brushed it out and then dried it. This stuff should be called buffa-fro. I mean the hair on it is about 6 inches long with a very dense underfur. I have no idea what to do with it but it is the coolest stuff. (I have been facinated by Buffalo since visiting Yosemite as a child).

When I was at the FFF Conclave in West Yellowstone they were give some away. There were a few tyers that used the under fur for some big nymphs. The longer guard hairs were used as winging material.

Your correct it is very dense.

Buffalo? Wings!

I've seen a Shoe Fly, a Horse Fly, a House Fly. Why I even seen an Elephant Fly... But I don't think I've ever seen a Buffalo Fly :P

This is gettin' scarey. I don't have any buff fur, but do have a couple of bodkins with handles made from buff teeth. Wouldn't want one of those guys chompin' on me!

A friend and I once tried to brain-tan a green buffalo hide with the hair on. Worked pretty hard at it and the last I heard the hair was starting to fall out. I bet the hair would make some great fly-tying material. Or you could get a weaver to make you some buffalo wool socks. :lol:

A friend and I once tried to brain-tan a green buffalo hide with the hair on. Worked pretty hard at it and the last I heard the hair was starting to fall out. I bet the hair would make some great fly-tying material. Or you could get a weaver to make you some buffalo wool socks. :lol:

I think it might be bit too coarse for that but maybe if you only used the under fur it might come out really nice. Those guard hairs though are very kinky and coarse. :dunno: