Fly Tying
KennyD

Need a vise

I'm looking for a vise to tie Bass and Pike flies.

Is a rotary vise really necessary?

Any vises that anybody would recommend?

Any other input would be great.

Thanks

Kenny

Being new here too I don't want to offend anyone. That being said, I started with a very plain cam stationary clamp vise that came with a kit. You can tie very nice flies with just that if you want. Just clamp it to the table and go. As I got more into it I made a tying station and sprung for a better vise. I wanted a rotary vise. I tie a few Clousers and it seems to work nice for me. I like inexpensive good stuff. I went with the Dan-vise. My opinion is it is well made and a good vise for under $100. It has a dvd to help you get it set up and I am happy. If you are doing it for a living there are better vises.

I have the dan-vise also. I love it. It was my first vise. I almost went with a kit to save some money and that way I could have bought more material up front. I decided I didn't want to upgrade my vice any time soon so I splurged and got the dan-vise eventually I want the Nor-vise. That will take a while.

I had a dan vise for a long time not to knock it but if you plan to tie for a long time its not a "long time vise" the jaws are crap. type "danvise jaws" in to the serch forum box you will see. I tie bass streamers pike streamers (click link in my signature) the best vise IMHO for this is the HMH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDhIvaI7YH0

Lifetime warranty!

I'm looking for a vise to tie Bass and Pike flies.

Is a rotary vise really necessary?

absolutely not!

I would agree rotary is not necessary. I have never tied on a rotary vise and do complety fine. I am tying on a vise that was made in the fiftys :) If you have a chance play with a couple and pick whichever one feels comfortable to you

I started with the $12 cheap-o and when the jaws failed, I bought a Peak. Then I bought a Regal. I go back and forth between them - they both have their plusses and minuses.

My first vice, purchased almost a year ago was a Griffin Odyssey. Some don't like it because it doesn't have cam jaws, but I tie everything from #22 to #3/0 and never had a problem with grip. The price point is less than $100, and the rotary works well. I would highly recommend it as a starting vise.

Someday I'll upgrade to a Dyna King, Nor-Vise, Renzetti, etc, but the Griffin is such a high quality vise the upgrade won't need to happen any time soon.

I had a dan vise for a long time not to knock it but if you plan to tie for a long time its not a "long time vise" the jaws are crap. type "danvise jaws" in to the serch forum box you will see. I tie bass streamers pike streamers (click link in my signature) the best vise IMHO for this is the HMH

Lifetime warranty!

I will have to agree with Matt, I had to grind my Danvice jaws down to a rounded end from their pointed origins. They flared out so much that they would not hold a dry 16 hook. I have been through 2 sets of jaws already and have decided that my next vise will come from Matt...the HMH...which HMH is to be decided at a later date!

Lifetime warranty!

I will have to agree with Matt, I had to grind my Danvice jaws down to a rounded end from their pointed origins. They flared out so much that they would not hold a dry 16 hook. I have been through 2 sets of jaws already and have decided that my next vise will come from Matt...the HMH...which HMH is to be decided at a later date!

Got my HMH Today from Matt and I am in love :)

fdnjdj22rj329d2n32lu892fll.jpg

As I know HMH makes a great vise, for me the dan-vise is perfect. I am very careful with the jaws I read all the info on this forum before purchasing the vice. It is obvoious to me that the jaws break down due to improper setting of the hook. I know people will argue with me on that point but there are people who tie a lot of flies on there dan-vise with no jaw issues. I wanted a rotary vice and I will eventually upgrade. I would like to go with Nor-vise but when the time comes I will look at all my options.

I have never really tied on more than 2 vices so I am not the one to throw the opinions out but being able to have a vice for life and not worry about having warranty issues is awesome! I would suggest if you have a shop locally test some out or even better if you have a fly fishing or tying club just about anyone would be willing to bring their vices down and let you play with them to help you decide what feels comfortable to you