Fly Tying
HuffleHill

Fly vise advice

thanks for all the comments everyone...keep 'em coming.

Got an email advertisement that the J Stockard vise is now on sale 20% off...was wavering on looking for something else but with my trucks transmission failing a 20% sale is looking mighty good if Im going to get anything.

HMH lifetime guarantee for anything. One of the only true lifetime vises and dyna king has a good warranty but does not touch HMH's. HMH does not have a true rotarty vise but I never really needed that function but you might. If you are choosing between the two I would suggest maybe going to a FFF meeting or a show where you can play with both and see what fits you. You might even find another one that is more confortable

Well said but HMH is a true rotary. It was the first rotary in the mid 70s. I use my HMH as a rotary all of the time. It just dosent have that get in your way cramp your hand V shape.

Hi to everyone,

I'm very new to this site here. I'm almost ready to get a new vise. Where would one go to get one? Any ideas? Where is the best place that a person can go for good service and good prices? I've seen so many that my head is spinning. While we are on the subject, how's HMH and Dyna-King? Which do you all prefer?

David Shubin

Try www.streamersflyshop.com (I know shameless plug!)

I did miss state that. It is rotary and I have used the function. You just need to put the vise strait horizontal and works perfectly!

thanks for all the comments everyone...keep 'em coming.

Got an email advertisement that the J Stockard vise is now on sale 20% off...was wavering on looking for something else but with my trucks transmission failing a 20% sale is looking mighty good if Im going to get anything.

Stockard has some inexpensive vises, and at 20% off, one of them may be just the ticket to get you by for now. I wouldn't feel too bad spending $30 on a vise that will be replaced within 5 years. Either the Masters or the Rotating Spring Action (Regal knock off) would get you by. I wouldn't bother with the Super AA.

I use the Zypher easy rotary. It was 60 bucks and works great. It is also simply enough built that if anything did go wrong with it, I could easily fix it myself. I would not go buying a NorVise as a begginner though or anything that is high flash. Unless you plan on tying for a living.

If you can afford a nor-vise and you want that type of vise I say buy it. If your like me and want true rotary but don't have the money to spend on something that flashy you can try what I use. I use the Dan-Vise and I love it. It is bigger and bulkier than something like an HMH and it doens't have a warranty to speak of but hey it was 80 bucks and does everything I need it to.

I will buy a better vise one day and knew that when I bought the dan-vise but I don't see what is wrong with starting out with a decent vise that will hold a hook. I have used super cheap vises that my fly tying club has and they work too. Just know if you buy a cheap vise and you stick with it you will buy a better more expensive vise in the future.

Well said but HMH is a true rotary. It was the first rotary in the mid 70s. I use my HMH as a rotary all of the time. It just dosent have that get in your way cramp your hand V shape.

That'a boy, Matt!!! Set 'em straight.

Mike

A year or so ago, Fly Fish Ohio posted an article entitled: "So Many Vises, So Little Time!", which they refer to as "The First Fly Fish Ohio Shoot-Out Review", which we provide printed copies of to our students in our beginning fly tying course who have not yet purchased their own vise. I highly recommend reading it to all who ar interested in buying their first vise, as it is a very well done comparative evaluation of many different vises.

perchjerker

A year or so ago, Fly Fish Ohio posted an article entitled: "So Many Vises, So Little Time!", which they refer to as "The First Fly Fish Ohio Shoot-Out Review", which we provide printed copies of to our students in our beginning fly tying course who have not yet purchased their own vise. I highly recommend reading it to all who ar interested in buying their first vise, as it is a very well done comparative evaluation of many different vises.

perchjerker

+1 on this article, there is a lot of good information it there. This article was what first led me to the Crown vise, which in turn finally to my current Regal which I like a lot. I don't think the Regal was reviewed there, it was the Crown that took me there.

I decided my first vise would be the APEX from Anvil. Nice vise for $100. I was looking at a peak and renzetti but opted for the apex due to saving money to pay for something else, a bill.

i dont think the HMH vise is a "TRUE" rotary vise in the style of a "TRUE" rotary vise such as the renzetti's, anvils, peaks etc

nor does the HMH website advertise any of their vises as "TRUE" rotary.

the hmh standard and spartan mention •Ultra-smooth 360º Rotary Action

the hmh sx mentions •Teflon-smooth full rotary action

any vise that spins around the z-axis and can line the hook up on this axis is a 'true rotary' vise

just my opinion yours will be different

I'm not so sure about the conventional wisdom of "buy the best vise you can afford". Many people start something like fly tying, buy expensive equipment, then after a year or two move on to something else.

You have to know yourself. If you're not someone who tries something and then moves on, that's fine. I'm not.

If you're like me, there are some very good vises for $75-$150 that do a great job. I have the Griffin Odyssey Spider, which was less than $100. It's worked very well for the past year, and I wouldn't trade it. It does a great job so I don't feel any need to go out an upgrade soon.

And I don't think I'll quit tying anytime soon.... :D

Thanks i read your post and went and checked out Griffin Odyssey web site and found a awesome vise i will save up for. I'm new to fly tying and just have a cheep vise that works great been tying for 1 year now and i love it. I don't know any of the good company's that supply equipment, this company makes great looking vises so I'm going to save and get there NEW! Blackfoot Mongoose that is one good looking vise

Thanks man what a great post and great company, its American some it makes it that much sweeter..

Support American company's if you can guys we really need it.... :headbang:

...um, Renzetti may be a name of Italian origin, but it's an American family, and their products are made here in the USA.

Also, Renzetti has the new Apprentice vise for $99 that is an entry level C-clamp vise with can action, adjustable head angle, and does rotate 360, but is not a true rotary like their others.