Fly Tying
Hunter5117

Bass Pro materials grab bag

My last trip to Bass Pro I picked up one of their "grab bags" of feathers, figuring for $12 it couldn't be that bad a deal. Last night I unpacked it and was impressed with what I got. Four large capes plus one small one, a large strip of strung hackle, a bunch of quills and some assorted other stuff. From the condition I expect the capes were all rejected as being sale-able on their own, but still lots of good feathers in them.

For anyone starting out like me and needing to build an inventory of tying materials, I can't see how this not a great deal.

My last trip to Bass Pro I picked up one of their "grab bags" of feathers, figuring for $12 it couldn't be that bad a deal. Last night I unpacked it and was impressed with what I got. Four large capes plus one small one, a large strip of strung hackle, a bunch of quills and some assorted other stuff. From the condition I expect the capes were all rejected as being sale-able on their own, but still lots of good feathers in them.

For anyone starting out like me and needing to build an inventory of tying materials, I can't see how this not a great deal.

they are a pretty good deal to get you started but i learned that you should buy what materials that you need for the flies you want to tie.

they are a pretty good deal to get you started but i learned that you should buy what materials that you need for the flies you want to tie.

Yes, that is good advice and is how I have been starting out learning the flies I use the most. I like to watch fly tying videos and there are neat looking flies/techniques I want to try out and having some extra materials on hand, even if not exactly what I need, at least lets me try my hand at a variant or learn something new.

I bought a couple of grab bags when I was getting started. The feather bag? Ehhh. Got a few good feathers, some ok ones, and some others.

The one I do recomend is a bucktail grab bag. They are just pieces of tails, but a quick way to get a variety of bucktail colors. I've bought more than a few full bucktails since in the colors I use the most, but I still use bits out of that bag when I need a different color. Plus, I don't think we see quite the variation in quality in bucktail as we do in feathers, or at least it doesn't make such a big deal.

Deeky

I bought a couple of grab bags when I was getting started. The feather bag? Ehhh. Got a few good feathers, some ok ones, and some others.

The one I do recomend is a bucktail grab bag. They are just pieces of tails, but a quick way to get a variety of bucktail colors. I've bought more than a few full bucktails since in the colors I use the most, but I still use bits out of that bag when I need a different color. Plus, I don't think we see quite the variation in quality in bucktail as we do in feathers, or at least it doesn't make such a big deal.

Deeky

I agree deeky the bucktail grab bag is a great purchase have bought one myself quick way to get lots of colors.

I have been eyeing a grab bag of feathers for a while. I just don't know if I will use all the ones I would end up with. I think I am goign to try an order from fly tyer dungeon he has some hackles on there for a decent price and I think it might be better to get the colors and patterns I am most likely to use. I say that but everytime I am in cabellas or bass pro I always look at that grab bag. I might just pick one up so I at least have a variety of stuff even if I don't use it all.

I did buy a bucktail one also and was very impressed with the amount of material I ended up with and the variety of colors. It was well worth the investment. So maybe I would be as happy with the feather bag. :dunno:

Several years ago, I purchased the Whiting grab bag, which I think is the actual source of the BPS grab bag. It does have a lot of unusual materials. I'd say, if you tie a lot of bass bugs, panfish flies and even some saltwater,flies, it's a great buy. For someone who ties mostly trout files, not so much.

I picked up a bucktail grab bag, and it had a nice mix of colors. The size of most pieces was just right since I won't use those colors as often, so it saved me having to spend money on full size bucktail.

i got the same thing 4 full saddles in good condition + a large patch of kingfisher blue hen.

on the other hand i got a really badly dyed marabou/soft hackle patch and strung saddles + a very low grade guinea hackle and a pile of damaged ostrich herl that will still be usable just never make very nice flies.

for 12$ it was well worth it.

i bought a dyed rabbit skin grab bag from cabelas that i shaved and mixed with things like wool and antron that was a great buy.

so sometimes grab bags rock

Not to push Orvis stuff but they've got a grab bag I just ordered. They sell a small bag and a large bag of totally random materials. Might be something to check out.

I bought a grab bag from Cabela's when I first started tying several years ago. I've only used a small amount of the material. There were a lot of odds and ends that I don't really use, but I tie mostly trout flies. If you tie mostly large streamers and bass flies it would probably be a better deal for you.

sounds likew you got luckly, when I do that all I get is junk

Think you're a bit like me. When I was in the states last summer I ordered their fly tiers grab bag, hungarian partidge and three different colored turkey biots. I got strung red cock hackle, strung brown marabou of good quality, mixed deer hair and bucktails. It's basically good quality, but I don't use the bucktails as much as I used to. If I tried to order Cabelas stuff from here in england it'd cost me a fortune in postage, though! In their shop in Mitchell, S.D. I bought odd bits and pieces of materials and hooks, but was quite disappointed in the lack of variety-or maybe I just caught them on an off-day!