Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Druce

sally and eyes

Has anyone ever used the holographic stick on eyes? I've been making size 10 streamers and using 1/8" stick-on eyes and then layering over them with Sally Hanson Hard as Nails. When you eventually get enough layers over the head and the eyes, it seems to beef up the realism of the eyes by giving it slightly more dimension both physically and in terms of light reflections - not to mention more realism over all.

It takes time to layer the eyes and head but after you leave it over night with say, 3-5 coats placed on the flies lets say, 15 minutes in between, it looks amazing - at least in my opinion. I should add, however, that a clear glossy medium that is slightly thicker than Sally Hanson Hard as Nails would probably work even better.

In preparation for the volley of replies making reference to other products that may better serve the purpose, allow me to offer a reply: Hey! I don't want yet another bottle of something else laying around on top of all the things I've already collected, the mountain grows daily people!!!. Just sharing. Good for size 8 and smaller.

Druce :coffee:

I saw another kool method in a flylife magazine. Those tape stick on eyes have no stick unless they are applied flat, so the fly they created with a small head they actually wound on clear mono thread over the eyes then applied the sally hansen. Looks good in the mag :)

I saw another kool method in a flylife magazine. Those tape stick on eyes have no stick unless they are applied flat, so the fly they created with a small head they actually wound on clear mono thread over the eyes then applied the sally hansen. Looks good in the mag :)

sounds like a good idea do you have pics or a link to it

Yep, not sure if this works, i am working on a batch of these tonight - but here is a picture of the magazine lol. After i give it a shot i will let you know :)

post-29540-1294946754_thumb.jpg

ive been doing the mono trick for years and its really easy to do

build your head with thread

bend the stick on eye into a v shape like this <0> a bent eye fits better than a flat eye on a round head

tie on the mono thread

stick on the eye

make an x wrap over the eyes and tie off mono thread

coat the eyes with 1 layer of sallys or acrylic goo

mono virtually disappears

or

see post #12 hopefully the foto is still there

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?sho...358&hl=eyes

What size mono should I be using for a size 10 streamer I have 2 pound test tip laying around?

2lb might be a bit thick i am thinking? I use this 'danville's monofilament ultra fine' in a few of my flies and once you put zap on it, it will go clear, very clear...I'd say the breaking strain is about 200g or so?

Personally I would just pick up some uv cureable stuff like bug bond or clear cure goo or loons. Any of those would do a great job of fixing the eyes permanently and it make flat eyeys look like the more expensive 3d eyes. Go to clear cure goo's website they have some great videos of this very technique.