Fly Tying
petelangevin

what bobbin do you use?

type of bobbin  

508 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have about 20 long tube Materelli's. Been liking them for a long time. I am curious about that expensive Echich bobbin.

Bob

A wicked member of this forum once sent me a C&F bobbin to "try out". Couldn't imagine

anyone paying $45 for a bobbin. I sent it back after a few days and have since bought 3 of them.

Love C&F's. I also keep one of my Tiemco ceramic tube bobbins loaded and within reach.

Mike

I have about 20 long tube Materelli's. Been liking them for a long time. I am curious about that expensive Echich bobbin.

Bob

The last time I checked with the maker the Echich bobbin holders were $100 each and had a 1 year warranty. When I asked why only one year he said he didn't know how long the spring would last and he didn't want to have to replace them because they were expense. How's that for customer service?

Bruce

I had 3 of the cheap stainless bobbins (dont know who made them but i got them from cabelas) but recently picked up a couple dr slick ceramic bobbins. They seem to be working pretty good.

I like the rite bobbin. I ordered a petitjean bobbin yesterday looking forward to giving it a try.

Let me know how you like it

Mr.Vegas the petitjean bobbin is great. Really easy to thread and I like the hook made into the bobbin for dubbin loops very useful. Being able to set the tension is a great feature. If I had it to do over would I have still made the purchase yes. This bobbin would be really great in a travel fly tying kit. :yahoo:

I have several different ones, but my main choice for use is my Rite, if I could afford it they would all be Rites. I love it and have never found anything close to it in both fit or features.

I have many different bobbin holders. Nor, Rite, Grif, Mat, Wasatch, generic ceramics, and a petitjean.

My Preference by a land slide is the petitjean. Its extremely well made. Its very comfortable in your hand. The thread through is a breeze. I dont mind changing threads one bit. The Dubbing hook on it is very convenient as i do loop a lot. The adjustable tension is suburb as well as the craftsmanship and quality.

I've got several, mostly Griffin, but I have a Renzetti and a Rite as well. I like the Rite especially for tying with 8/0 thread (in fact, my Rite lives with brown UNI 8/0 on it). The Renzetti is my saltwater bobbin. However, my favorite bobbin is a Griffin Rod Wrapping bobbin. Why that one? Because it allows me to use the "wide" spools of Guterman and Sulky rayon and silk threads that I buy at JoAnn fabric.

I use Griffin's Supreme Ceramic, Griffin's Bass Saltwater Ceramic, and Matarelli's Midge Bobbin at my tying desk. My portable tying box contains a Matarelli Standard Tube and a Renzetti Standard Ruby Tip Bobbin. I also have a couple Rite Standard Bobbins that I will use occasionally.

Yet another curious parcel from Durban, ZA... the Brightest Spot on the Darkest Continent...

'Specializing in Kinetic Sculptures made one at a time from Stainless-Steelium and Unobtanium...

by the Right Honbourable Jay Smit [J-Vise]... 'typically thinking outside the box [in a good way]...

IMG_0152.jpg

'NOT just another bobbin just hangin' around...

IMG_0162.jpg

IMG_0165.jpg

I've only been tying for a couple of months , but I've already learned that the super cheap ones suck. Only bought one of those though, I also have a few Griffin bobbins which are ok. I still am yet to try a ceramic bobbin, so if they're any better I don't know what I'm missing.