Fly Tying
Crotalus

How do you take your tying gear with you?

Saw the Hatches review for the Fishpond Tomahawk tying bag today. I have been talking myself into and out of the Fishpond Road Trip bag since before Christmas.

I don't fly with my gear, usually take it with me in our fifth wheel. For now i have been using a rubbermaid bin and tossing in a variety of materials, hooks and tools along with my vise and few magazines. I have decorated it with decals to make it unique.

I am just curious how everyone else transports their gear - fancy bag, cheap bin or something homemade.

Saw the Hatches review for the Fishpond Tomahawk tying bag today. I have been talking myself into and out of the Fishpond Road Trip bag since before Christmas.

I don't fly with my gear, usually take it with me in our fifth wheel. For now i have been using a rubbermaid bin and tossing in a variety of materials, hooks and tools along with my vise and few magazines. I have decorated it with decals to make it unique.

I am just curious how everyone else transports their gear - fancy bag, cheap bin or something homemade.

I have a fly tying box made by Benchworks that works great, but it's big and bulky. The only time I take my tying stuff anywhere is when I tie at expos around the area....the box and a small duffel bag to put my OTT light in works well for that.

troy

Try this its cheap organized and cheap. Go to target get a clear closet shoe organizer. Basically a clear plastic with around twenty spots for shoes or fly tying stuff. I have one hanging on my garage wall for material organizing. To travel just fold it up and wrap with a velcro strap then unfold and hang at hotel room, van, camp ground etc..

to he completely honest a i always thought an briefcase with elastic straps and a few pockets from a second hand store would make an amazing travel kit. I take one or two big trips in the spring/summer to a lake or river of choice thats a reasonable distance for about a week with my fishing partner. The last trip we both got stumped and it would have been perfect if we had a kit to tie up some flies and bring us out of the slump, so this year im getting a cheep briefcase, all my materials are bagged and flat for the most part so it seems perfect to me.

Druce.

2 tackle boxes for me. I modified one so I can calmp a vice to it just in case I need to come up with something on the water.

to he completely honest a i always thought an briefcase with elastic straps and a few pockets from a second hand store would make an amazing travel kit. I take one or two big trips in the spring/summer to a lake or river of choice thats a reasonable distance for about a week with my fishing partner. The last trip we both got stumped and it would have been perfect if we had a kit to tie up some flies and bring us out of the slump, so this year im getting a cheep briefcase, all my materials are bagged and flat for the most part so it seems perfect to me.

Druce.

A friend of mine gave me a box this passed summer that he made for himself about 10 years ago I will try to post a pic or 2 of it but it has these small plastic boxes in it for hackle and herl and such plus a large compartment for my vice and tools its really nice not much to look at since it is made of plywood but definitely versatile if you come to the Michigan show in March I will have it there

I use a large duffel bag. I put all my materials in the middle, a box with my hooks on one side and a box with my vise in the other side compartment.

I have been using this tying box for a very long time:

cN9hPV4.jpg

more info and photos here:

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/2010/11/25/a-tying-box/

If I go on an extended trip, say to MT for 3 mos. or so, I cram all my other accumulated stuff into a large five pocket Eagle Creek duffel...never know what one might NEED... bugeyes.gif

PT/TB

Honestly, I can't imagine anything that could not work. If it fits, It works!

Duffel bags,

Briefcase.

Hard sided tool boxes

Canvas sided tool boxes

What I can never figure out is what everybody decides to put in a portable kit. Does everybody simply keep a little bit of everything they have in a smaller quantity? Or does everybody load up there kit with a handful of targeted flies in mind?

I've had the Fishpond Road Trip bag for a couple of years. Although I admit I haven't had a chance to use it much, so far I am very happy with it. It has plenty of storage for it's size and is very well made.

I was looking at the Fishpond bags the other day. They seem okay, but you can buy a lot of fly tying materials for $170. I think I will stick with my duffel bag.

I have an older tying bag that looks like the fishpond tomahawk tying bag. I can fit my vise, including both clamp/stand for vise, as well as all my tools, and a large selection of materials. it has 4 ziplock mesh compartments for materials, a padded compartment for the vise, and tools, as well as pockets on the insides of the bag, and multiple baggies to store materials in. Also has a few thread tubes so I can bring a large variety of tying threads with me.