Fly Tying
MarianC

Hair Staker home made version

What do you use to stack hair....or are there any of you guys that have made one at home?

Any Help is welcome :help:

For small stacking I use cartridge cases - I think it is a .45 and a .38.

Anyways, at one point I turned a nice cedar hair stacker on my mini lathe. Looked beautiful, but needed some design work. It was too short to be effective. I'm a better fly tier than a woodworker, altho I'm not an expert at either.

12 guage shell works alright. although you dont have the sleeve like most do

Could you use the 12 in a 10 guage shell or 16 ga in a 12 ga for the sleeve? Don't have any shells around to know if the sizes are close enough to work.

Kirk

I made a stacker from a 3"piece of 7/8" refrigeration copper tubing line and a 7/8" pipe cap for the same line.

The piece of tubing had to be heated to take the temper out of it and then one end was flared with a flaring tool to give it a slight trumpet bell shape. On the other end, two half circles were cut out on the endwalls opposite each other.

The cap goes on over the end with the half circle cutouts ( obviously) and the hair is inserted, tips first into the bell end. Rap the stacker a few times on a hard surface, take off the cap and pull out the hair by the stacked tips .

My cost $0.00. The pipe was scrap from a supermarket construction renovation job and the cap I got from a refrigeration mechanic on the same job. If I had to buy it, it might be 50 cents.

I also made one from a piece of 1/2" copper water line and a cap, but I mainly use the bigger diameter stacker.

12 guage shell works alright. although you dont have the sleeve like most do

Could you use the 12 in a 10 guage shell or 16 ga in a 12 ga for the sleeve? Don't have any shells around to know if the sizes are close enough to work.

Kirk

My dad used to use a 12ga and a 16ga as a waterproof match holder. It's a pretty good fit. That was back in the days when the shell casings were made of thick waxed paper (or light cardboard).

Here is my six barrel repeater. You can crank out caddis and poppers like crazy with this bad boy haha. Each one is around 3/4". While not homemade, it is custom made.

DSCF2842.jpg

I made a stacker from a 3"piece of 7/8" refrigeration copper tubing line and a 7/8" pipe cap for the same line.

The piece of tubing had to be heated to take the temper out of it and then one end was flared with a flaring tool to give it a slight trumpet bell shape. On the other end, two half circles were cut out on the endwalls opposite each other.

The cap goes on over the end with the half circle cutouts ( obviously) and the hair is inserted, tips first into the bell end. Rap the stacker a few times on a hard surface, take off the cap and pull out the hair by the stacked tips .

My cost $0.00. The pipe was scrap from a supermarket construction renovation job and the cap I got from a refrigeration mechanic on the same job. If I had to buy it, it might be 50 cents.

I also made one from a piece of 1/2" copper water line and a cap, but I mainly use the bigger diameter stacker.

Kinda like this?

post-11211-1296765803_thumb.jpg

I made two of these, each has 12 stackers. Its a dozen test tubes with screw on lids, fit into blocks of packing foam. Not pretty, but they get the job done.

post-12074-1296766051_thumb.jpg

I have been a woodturner for about 20 years now, and keep threatening to make one out of some of the tropical hardwoods I often use. However, it just never seems to rise to the top of my 'priority list', though it does have a prominent place on my "bucket list"!

aged sage

I have been a woodturner for about 20 years now, and keep threatening to make one out of some of the tropical hardwoods I often use. However, it just never seems to rise to the top of my 'priority list', though it does have a prominent place on my "bucket list"!

aged sage

Here is my six barrel repeater. You can crank out caddis and poppers like crazy with this bad boy haha. Each one is around 3/4". While not homemade, it is custom made.

DSCF2842.jpg

This stacker is awesome! Who made it?