Fly Tying
Carolina Fly

Classic "Quill Minnow"

I was doing some reading last night and stumbled upon this website while searching for information about the Gerbubble Bug (another pattern I've fell in love with):

http://backcountrynotes.squarespace.com/ba...ss-bugging.html

Towards the bottom it shows a small picture labeled "Quill Minnow" and the text reads:

"One last word on bass bugs (so many bass bugs, so little time!) - - the Quill Minnow is an unusual lure which is very effective in fast water for smallmouths and river largemouths. The Quill Minnow is tedious to make, thus few were made commercially and it is a rare find. The word "quill" refers to the hollow base section of a goose or turkey flight-feather quill which is used to make the body of the lure, with the head being made of cork; a hook is either inserted through the quill, or tied on underneath. The cork face can be sanded at various angles, so that the lure will pop, or skip, or even dive. It makes a great wounded-minnow lure when cast across-current and retrieved in short jerks as it floats downstream."

So based on the single picture I came up with this. First attempt at a 21st century take on this classic (which I still no nothing about).

Rear Body - Quill (sanded down smooth)

Tail - White Marabou

Head - Balsa (painted to match)

Body - Holographic Tinsel

Throat - Red Ultra Wire

Eyes - 3D

All covered in a light coat of Clear Cure Goo to add a little durability.

IMG_0594.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

IMG_0601.jpg

All the best,

Thomas

Great looking fly. I would like to tie a few of these up for the upcoming season. In your opinion would a tube work inplace of the quill feather? :bugeyes:

Guest rich mc

nice pattern. but i would think it would pick up all sorts of weeds in the space by the eye. rich mc

Great for still water too. love the wounded bait fish. ya this will come in handy! silver/red silver/purple gold/green... oh the possibilitys are endless......... :crazy: :bored: :o :whistle: i might of just had a flygasm

Great looking fly. I would like to tie a few of these up for the upcoming season. In your opinion would a tube work inplace of the quill feather? :bugeyes:

Thats a great idea, I think a straw would work well too! The colours would be endless!! I would go with a 79580 hook though catch less weeds!!

Blessings,

Jeremy