Fly Tying
Panama Red

CAPTAIN JOE COSTADURA’S SCRUMCRAB- SHRIMP’OLICIOUS

Dave, that's a killer looking fly :thumbsup: . How do you work the retrieve? Do you just crawl it on the bottom, or pop it up and let it fall? Of course, with arctic fox you could just leave it still and still catch fish

Pretty buggy looking. I've got to ask though if that white spot in the top middle of the wing is a mini LED light to send out and SOS or something?

Kirk

That is one UGLY looking tie, and I mean that in a GOOD way. Ugly catches a lot of fish.

That is one UGLY looking tie, and I mean that in a GOOD way. Ugly catches a lot of fish.

utyer, It is big and ugly and thats what I like to hear :thumbsup: I cant tell you how many times I have changed wording or found another way to say it....Truth us big buggy and yes...ugly flies catch fish, particularly in saltwater or bass fishing.

Kirk, that is the light of knowledge shining out the bugs butt...or it just may be the reflextion of the flash in the computor screen :unsure:

Andy, haven't had the chanch to give it a toss, found it on the internet last night. Hoping to get the boat back this week, would like to give it a try...I'm thinking a cast off to the side, bring it with in sight...slow short strips with long pauses. Like you said, that fox will dance even when still.

Thank god you said that, that means my flies have a chance to catch some fish

This fly was too good to pass up, I had to give it a shot. I had to make a few adjustments based on materials at hand. I used burnt orange SLF Saltwater dubbing for the ass end instead of chenile and didn't have any arctic fox in the appropriate colors so used finn raccoon instead and just cut it a little shorter. Unfortunately I was unable to add the light of knowledge from the bug's butt as I have not yet attained Dave's enlightened level of tying :D

post-18514-1299083814_thumb.jpg

Andysan,

When you can grab the #24 dry from my hand :ph34r:

Dude that looks great :cheers: , I finaly went to the store and bought a lifetime supply of bead chain in several colors and sizes, I'm going to try some smaller (2-4) and see if I can clean up the front of the fly some.

And....it's a little off topic, but where is the nearest snook fishing from the big bend?

Thanks...dave

Thanks Master Po,

I found that the hardware store is a great place for medium beadchain eyes. They sell them in the lighting section as pull chains for ceiling fans and chandeliers. For a few bucks you can get several feet of beadchain in black, gold or silver.

Before the freeze last year, they were catching snook fairly regularly as far north as Crystal River. However, I'm not sure how far north they are now. I was down in Tampa last week and the snook were scattered, but there were a lot of (mostly small) reds and tons of ladyfish which may have been beating the snook to the punch. Still managed a few snook but were all on the small side. I would guess at this point that the snook start to become more scattered as you go north from Tarpon Springs and by the time you reach Crystal River they are probably a lot harder to find than they were a few years ago.

Cheers,

Grasshopper

Thanks Andy,

How is the fishing around Homosasa? Susan found a great looking spot with cabins on the water.

www.homosassariverretreat.com

Tried a variation with bead chain on a #4 34007...plastic bead eyes, twin small brass bead chain at the back

P1030244.jpg