Fly Tying
DeweyGreen

Articulated Flies for Trout

Can anyone point me to some place to find patterns and maybe a video on How to tye some Articulated flies ?

And anyone tie these for trout and how do they work for you?

hey there I have been tying my own version of the big black nasty, Look it up on you tube that will give you a start, and let you imagination run wild. I use green rabbit for browns in oregon and Idaho. great streamer pattern. Good luck.

post-31220-1299979535_thumb.jpg

I have just tied some articulated woolly buggers, not gave them a swim yet.

I dressed the hook with the body and the tail on a piece of twisted stainless wire with a couple of glass beads between then. will try to get some pics up later.

ps. i hope the big browns like them. :thumbup:

Hi Dewey!

Did you get the artics a going??

I am getting ready RIGHT NOW for a true assault on Monster Browns in my area.

I need some flies like this.

Take care!

Gary in Oregon

Can anyone point me to some place to find patterns and maybe a video on How to tye some Articulated flies ?

And anyone tie these for trout and how do they work for you?

I want to add my 2 cents on the topic:

Here are the articulated nymphs and sculpins which work well for any good size Salmonid.

Photo 1: These nymphs have weighted head and soft belly out of a synthetic tube-like string. The tip of the string is melted around the hook eye and shank which keeps the hook in place.

Photo 2: Lenok (Siberian trout) with two animals out of its stomach and two imitations of the same animals.

Photo 3: The sculpin imitations and the "bases" with a string used for such flies. The big stoneflies also could be tied on such bases.

post-34261-0-95540600-1330809716_thumb.jpg

post-34261-0-65911800-1330809845_thumb.jpg

post-34261-0-34949200-1330810276_thumb.jpg

Hope you post up your results with the monsters. I tried a damsel nymph pattern with hinged plaited marabou tail last year and seemed to suffer lots of tail nips that didn't hook up. Told myself the trout were too small! :rolleyes: This year have found a new loch to target with browns running to 5lb I'm informed.