Fly Tying
flyfishingboys

Your favorite place to purchase tying supplies

Hi, I'm just inquiring where do you purchase your tying supplies from. Personally I use www.hookhack.com, I'm pleased with their service and prices, but am open to anyone else’s suggestions.

I love my local fly shop because i've become good friends with the owner and always enjoy BS'ing about tying.fishing with him when i'm there, but i have been buying alot from Will through Green Caddis Outfitters latley. Wills prices are just as good if not better than anywhere else plus theres free shipping and the money goes to help keep this site up and ruinning so its a win-win situation cool.gif

SD

Steeldrifter,

Just checked out Green Caddis Outfitters Site, your right very good prices, less then what I'm spending now, and THE FREE SHIPPING!!! Plus I agree with suporting this site. Thanks for the tip. Will should be getting my first order real soon.

Unfortunately the closest shop to me is close to 45 miles away, but I have one of Western NY’s finest Steelhead River 45 yards out my backdoor.

My favorite shops are the one here in Syracuse where I learned to tie and cast. The other is in NY Mills near Utica. All the staff and customers are friendly and helpful.

I am also fortunate that work takes me out of town from time to time so I get to check out a new place and occassionally find a few things the others don't have.

I have ordered from Cabelas, Feathercraft, The Flyshop(California), and a few other places. I have had very good service from them all.

For now I have to wait until after Christmas to get any new materials since the wife needed a wish list. I have to admit she's pretty cool in that she'll go to the shops with no qualms to pick stuff up. I am glad she does not suffer from this addiction also because we'd be "living in a van down by the river!"

I don't have a favorite due to the nature of the materials I buy. I order stuff from dealers in England, Sweden, Canada and a half dozen dealers here in the US including GCO. Local fly shops here in Florida cater to saltwater tyers and you won't find too much else available.

GCO is a terrific source of materials and I send my business to Will whenever I need something and he has been great in accomodating my demands. A little while back I ordered a Golden Pheasant tail and the one I received was primo. Clean, and not a flaw on it. headbang.gif

QUOTE (flyfishingboys @ Nov 8 2004, 05:42 PM)
Unfortunately the closest shop to me is close to 45 miles away, but I have one of Western NY’s finest Steelhead River 45 yards out my backdoor.

Thats a trade off i would be happy to make wink.gif

I agree with steeldrifter there....

You could always start your own fly shop wink.gif.. or umm where is that now? devil.gif

Steeldrifter

Is your favorite shop in town on N Main. If it's the same, I was in there on sat. for the first time. Nice shop and friendly people. Other than that it has been the bass pro shop.

BFR

Teioneon,

There's a flyshop out near Utica.....gosh I use to commute out there twice a week to collage (SUNY IT Utica/Rome)

Guess I should have explored the area a little better!

I Have also ordered from Both Hook and Hackle as well as Green Caddis Both good sites, I do like the idea of supporting this site though!

Tom