Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tidewaterfly

Poll: Bucktail, or Synthetics for Larger Size Streamers?

Poll: Bucktail, or Synthetics?  

75 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I tie with both (right now synthetic fur) from 1" to 16" flies. I like to mix the materials, buck tail is a little stiffer where syn. is softer and flows nicely.I found some long (4" craft fur) with flas-a-bou already in it which is making some really nice flies.Great saltwater and fresh water patterns with it.I get buck tail from my supplier with 6" long or longer hair (saltwater)

I prefer bucktail when I want a defined profile in the water. Moves well enough but won't collapse when the fly turns against current or tide.

Synthetics can loose all their shape at points of the retrieve.

There are a lot of these surveys that ask absolute questions. How can I say I only tie streamers with fur, feather, or fake? It depends on the streamer. Some use all three.

Grumpy old man I guess.

I don't really see them as "absolute" questions, Flicted. Just questions pertaining to specific materials. It's often repeated on this site and others ... if you want specific answers, ask specific questions.

Too many questions, I have some a.d.d. - short story; almost always will chose natural over synthetic, because I've not found synthetics easy to use well and mostly find they don't catch fish, for me, even if store bought. The natural might not be bucktail though.

Also it bugs me that synthetics are often forever trash that will never biodegrade. Lakes, streams and oceans seem to have enough plastic in them already.

Agree natural and agree trash.

I have to say though that I rarely tie "large" streamers. But up to 4" streamers, I only use synthetic materials if what I'm tying is supposed to be made with synthetic. (sarcasm intended) I guess what I'm saying is, I would never tie a Mickey Finn with synthetic materials for the wing. Sure, it would probably work, it's just not what I believe in. But a Murdich Minnow cannot be made with natural materials. I might add a little flash to a Deceiver or other streamer that is mostly natural materials, but it's really not a yes/no, black/white question.

To further cloud the discussion, most of what I would consider "natural" hair, feather, or bucktail streamers use tinsel, wire, a hook. Unless we use silk thread, I guess we are all tying with synthetics.