Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
mdraft1

OttLite Review

Hi everyone, I just posted a review of the OttLite FlexArm Plus light on my blog. I have include the full text of the review below and a couple of pictures. You can check out the review with additional photos here: OttLite Review

For years I used either incandescent or cfl bulbs at my tying desk and the color of materials and degree of eye strain associated with tying two dozen size 18 adams seems about right. A few weeks ago the good people at OttLite sent me their FlexArm Plus Lamp to review. To be honest, I was a bit skeptical at first. After all, light is light. Right? I could not have been more surprised by the difference the Ott bulb made! Here are a few things I noticed:

IMG_3065.jpg

The above picture was taken with the illumination from a CFL bulb. After taking the picture, it seemed fine to me. The fly is a yellow sulfur so the orange/yellow color seemed about right.

IMG_3064.jpg

Here is the same fly with the exact same camera settings using the OttLite for illumination. Notice the background and how the soft full spectrum light does not blur or distort the color.

The idea behind OttLite is that brighter light is not necessarily better light. Often bright lights emit too much heat, product glare, and contribute to eye strain by forcing the eyes closed in an attempt to endure the intensity. The OttLite 508 technology counters all of the negative effects of overly bright lights by providing a cool running, full spectrum light that balances brightness and contrast. OttLite bulbs are also extremely energy efficient and are rated to10,000 hours.

The OttLite FlexArm Plus Lamp is an all purpose hobby/craft lamp. It has an adjustable height that ranges from 10" all the way to 30" and comes with both a pedestal base and a C-clamp attachment. The design is perfect for tying flies, in part, because it provide plenty of clearance thus eliminating constant adjustment and hitting it with your hand or a bobbin when tying. The bulb provides plenty of illumination for working with small flies and the softness of the light has done wonders for reducing eye strain while tying.

In Sum

I was surprised by how big of a difference the OttLite made. If matching the color of natural insects is important to your tying, then the true full spectrum light of an OttLite bulb is indispensable. The difference in selecting the right color of dubbing or hackle is hard to describe when using an OttLite compared to an incandescent or cfl bulb. Additionally the reduction in eye strain I experience when using the OttLite compared to other lights is unbelievable. I never realized how much glare I was fighting from my incandescent (way to bright) bulb and more recently my cfl bulbs (way to yellow). In short, I'm sold on the OttLite! The FlexArm Plus Lamp works prefect for my tying desk. It offers plenty of light and the long adjustable arm stays out of my way when tying. I'm even thinking of picking up a travel size model for tying on the road.

I love my Ottlight also, it makes it sooooo much easier to sit there for longer periods of time. I am in total agreement with you on everything. It is also very portable, I tie every week at a Bass Pro Shop and the lighting is horendous in their fly shop and there is no way I could tie there for 3 hours without it. I have found it much easier to tie the smaller flies with a light, it is much more enjoyable and I don't get the headache anymore either. Kudos to you for bringing this up and posting on it and great review by the way.

Blane

i use a full spectrum "daylight" brand for fly tying & fly tying photography but not for choosing colors of dubbing or hackle

there are also multiple types of cfl bulbs. did you try all types of cfl bulbs for a true comparison or just one type?

full sectrum cfl

http://e3living.com/15-watt-super-mini-daylight-full-spectrum-5500k-60-watt-incandescent-replacement

Thanks for the replies. I tried three different "standard" CFL bulbs and they all gave off a yellow light. I know there are other "full spectrum" bulbs out there, but for the review I focused on the Ottlite bulbs.

The Ott "light" is good but the housing is crud. If the balast goes out which mine did after only three years, you're screwed. Just buy their bulb if you want the Ott "light" and put it in to your own fixture.

When I did a search on getting the fixture replaced, I found posts and reviews from many upon many disgruntled Ott Light customers that had the same thing happen - in fact, that is how I found out what happened to mine. I thought the bulb went out so I bought another bulb for my lamp but it still didn't work. That is when I did a search and found the horrible reviews by disgruntled ex-customers stating how horrible Ott Light's customer service is. I got basically a SOL from them when I finally had my call returned, too.

Get the bulbs if you want to - I just buy the ones Flytyre mentions - but do not get Ott Light lamps, you'll be throwing money down the drain. That being said, their lamp designs are really great but they have to put in a 10,000 hour balast to go along with the 10,000 hour bulbs; either that or swap out the defective lamp after it goes out.

Kirk

Just to be fair Kirk, I know of a number of tyers who have had Ottlites for 10+ years without any problems. I've read a couple of comments from people who had the light go out after a few years, but I have also read of lights purchased long ago that are still going strong. My point is simply that to write that something is "throwing your money down the drain" based upon a few instances seems a bit much. Also, when I called their customer service to ask a question I got through no problem. Perhaps the company has made some changes since you last dealt with them.

Would,say a SB400 bounce flash be any good,on a D90.Bouncing the flash maybe off a reflector or cieling.I like to be as portable

as possible.post-33417-0-83972500-1304979641_thumb.jpg What do you think?

Sorry wrong site

I've used the same Ott Lite for over 12 years. I have replaced the bulb one time and have had no problems. Just my experience with the lite.

I guess I'm one of the folks on the disappointed side of the Ott aisle. I spent over $100 on one and indeed it was a great light for tying. The first tube lasted less than 8 months of frequent, but not constant use-- perhaps 2 hours a day 3-4 days per week. Replacement tube was something like $27 if I remember correctly. About 5 months later the ballast/transformer crapped out and Ott would not cover it under warranty. I did not abuse or misuse the lamp in any way. Being an electronics tech, I figured I could find out the specs of the ballast and get one cheap somewhere, but no luck. Ott would not reveal the output specs of the transformer and I didn't have the $$$ to spend on another one just to find out, or to buy a few different but similar ones just to try.

If they sent me a lamp to "review" hell yes I would say it was great.

In my work I've used many different types of lighting, and am familiar with color temp, spectra emissions, etc, and Ott does sell lamps with a very "natural" output.

I solved my lighting problems with a $15 clip lamp, a 100W equivalent full spectrum CFL for $8, and a home-made reflector extension made from a root-beer can. The color temp is very favorable to daylight, and it has been working fine (and more often than the Ott) for over a year now. I bought a spare CFL to have on hand when this one craps out and I'm still in it for less than a quarter of what the ott cost me.

"If they sent me a lamp to "review" hell yes I would say it was great" ~JSzymczyk

Well I guess that's the difference between you and me. If I thought the light wasn't good I would have said so or sent it back.

ott lite or cfl

can you tell the difference?

bulb1.jpg

bulb2.jpg

Sweet bobbin there. I love mine.

ott lite or cfl

bulb1.jpg

bulb2.jpg

That bobbin looks slick. Is it worth the money?

I Just love mt Ottlite, Got it for 40%off at Michaels craft store..

So for the money & 40% off retail price, it's definitely well worth owning one.

ott lite or cfl

bulb1.jpg

bulb2.jpg

That bobbin looks slick. Is it worth the money?

I Just love mt Ottlite, Got it for 40%off at Michaels craft store..

So for the money & 40% off retail price, it's definitely well worth owning one.

Worth every penny. ;)