Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
petelangevin

Tying with bills bodi braid

Anyone have any patterns or suggestions as to how to use this stuff. Found 10 packages while emptying more boxes packed away for several years. Gold, silver, green and blue. I used them for joe brooks blondes. Any other patterns?

There is a pattern that is supposed to be a killer called 'Goldie'. I want to get ahold of some gold to try a couple of them but I have not yet ordered any of it. I hate to pay the shipping for one package of the stuff. I am so cheap..... :D

Goldie's are great patterns, but they can be tied with other flash materials besides Bill's Bodi Braid. Since you've already used it for streamer bodies, that would be the place to continue using it. You could use on Deceivers.

I've never used it, as I've seen other braid's that look so similar that I just never bought any. I've got a bunch of cards of a material that is similar & sold in a local crafts store. It's called Braid Ribbon 2, made by Glissen Gloss.

It should also work well on any type of Bonefish style fly, like the Charlie series or Gotcha's. Just because they're supposed to be for Bonefish, doesn't mean they can't be used for other species. There are no Bonefish here, but there are Carp, Perch, Crappies & other panfish, and even bass that will all eat that type of fly. That type of body material works well on Bendback flies too.

Thanks for the Braid Ribbon 2 suggestion. I will look for it locally. We have Hobby Lobby, Micheals, and JoAnn Fabric. Surely one of them has it. Thanks again :)

My favorite fly that uses Bills Body Braid is a "Ray's Fly" bucktail streamer. It's intended for Striped bass, but I've used it with good luck on LMB, SMB, trout and crapies. I use slightly smaller sizes for the latter two, but I've caught freash water bass on the saltwater sized Ray's Flies that I have tied up.

I do cover the body braid with some CCG or Hard as Nails before doing the wing, just toughens it up a little.

Will

Don't be afraid to double the braid before working it into a body for a bit more profile as well. That sort of braid (as well as the slightly larger diamond braid) makes not only great bodies but can be used to build up a head on any fly. I'm particularly fond of those kinds of bodies or heads with maribou patterns....

Of course as a saltwater tyer there's no such thing as "tradition".....

I often use braids in place of tinsel on patterns that call for tinsel wrapped along the shank. I often epoxy over the braid, which makes them super durable, and adds some weight. As per Capt Bob's suggestion, I've used braided mylar tubing for wrapping bodies, but instead of double wrapping it, I would use a strand of the string core as an under body, building it up to a desired diameter, then wrap the braid over it, making a fatter body with a better profile. Use less braid, so I can tie more flies with it, and provided a use for that string core. I hate wasting anything! :)