Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eastern fly

Hooks

Those are manufactored in size 6 too. Other ones TMC 777SP, TMC 811S and Mustad 34007... VMC has some great hooks too. Sorry if these aint helping.

If you're not going with the B10S the 3366 is the best way to go. I think for the money its one of the best hooks around for bass. I usually sharpen them before I fish them but you can't go wrong with them.

Mustad also has the 3366A (slightly longer shank.) You can get these from Jans Netcraft in sizes 6 and 8 for about $4.00. The Gamakatsu is a slightly different shape, and sharper, but it is also more expensive.

hey don't forget that the 8089/B10S style hooks have a VERY weird sizing schedule. I have several of them, and a #6 in those is more like a 3366 in #2 or #1. A number 10 B10S is like a standard #4.

the Mustad 34007 is a saltwater hook, much heavier, not the same.

The Mustad 3366A is a LARGE EYE version of the 3366, not a longer shank. I use them to tie flies for spinners.

3366 is a great value in a very versatile hook.

Although not a bass bug hook, Mustad C47SD is similar in design, but is tinned for saltwater use, and is listed as 3X short. They call it a shrimp hook, but it could be used for topwater flies. I've never used it for bass bugs, but have used it for a variety of other flies, including Clousers & Gurglers. Unless you need a longer shank, it might work just fine, and is a much better hook than a 3366. It's also available in a size 6.

And it's a Mustad 3365A that is the longer shank version of the 3366.

The problem im having is with one of my foam flies. Lots of strikes with a low hook up ratio, so I'm thinking I need a larger gap. The 3366 is one hook I have wanting to get for other flies anyway.

Kevin

I tie almost all of my smaller foam bugs on Mustad 94831 2xl dry fly hooks. I've found leaving the hook gap hanging back further than "normal" makes for very effective hook-up rates. I don't know what size they are made up to- at least 8 but maybe 6. Also, curved-shank "hopper/stonefly" hooks make good foam bug hooks.

I tie almost all of my smaller foam bugs on Mustad 94831 2xl dry fly hooks. I've found leaving the hook gap hanging back further than "normal" makes for very effective hook-up rates. I don't know what size they are made up to- at least 8 but maybe 6. Also, curved-shank "hopper/stonefly" hooks make good foam bug hooks.

Thanks for that one. For the life of me I dont know why I didnt think of a 2x hook.

Kevin

Once again I don't understand why everyone bypasses the obvious solution.

The mustad 38187 is what you need and jstockard has them from 1/0 to size 10.