Fly Tying
Turkish

smooth floss body?

Hi everyone. I poked around some threads and tried to come up with some info but I figured I better just ask...

What is the trick to getting a floss body to be smooth? I have a bunch of Uni-floss single strand and I just cant seem to stop it from splaying out as I wrap it down and back. I was trying to get a smooth body on a size 16 wet fly hook but it looks like something chewed it up by the time I'm done. Frustrating.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

smooth floss body must have a smooth under body base for the floss

also

pull the floss vertically and stroke the floss to align the fibers.then wrap the floss without losing the tension while wrapping

and

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=4987

or

http://globalflyfisher.com/tiebetter/flosswork/

Thank you guys for the links. This is exactly the stuff I was looking for. I think that my biggest problem has been my dry hands snagging the individual strands of the floss. The more I handled it, the more frayed it looked.

Thanks a lot.

when working with floss I ussually use hand cream and have even gone to the trouble of using a thin layer of dubbing wax on my hands so as not to snag the floss.

I use silk floss. It's much easier.

I planned on getting some "rolls" of silk for a few steelhead hairwings later this summer...but then I stumbled upon some nice feathers for soft-hackles, so I need it sooner that I expected.

...FT14, do you have a good recommendation on what kind of silk (i.e. Japanese embroidery silk, Pearsalls, etc...) and where to buy it?

Also, I see that Pearsalls has "Gossamer silk thread" AND "Marabou silk floss". Anyone know what the difference is?

Thanks again.

I use silk floss. It's much easier.

I planned on getting some "rolls" of silk for a few steelhead hairwings later this summer...but then I stumbled upon some nice feathers for soft-hackles, so I need it sooner that I expected.

...FT14, do you have a good recommendation on what kind of silk (i.e. Japanese embroidery silk, Pearsalls, etc...) and where to buy it?

Also, I see that Pearsalls has "Gossamer silk thread" AND "Marabou silk floss". Anyone know what the difference is?

Thanks again.

Embroidery floss is rayon. All other regular floss' are silk like those used for wets (Bergman or M.O.M. flies) and steelhead flies. Your other option is spanflex or another brand of the stretch floss'. Don't know about marabou silk, but the gossamer is a silk floss. I have a bunch of 4 strand rayon stuff I use quite a bit. Its fairly easy to use. Here is a link about floss alternatives:

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=11756

"Also, I see that Pearsalls has "Gossamer silk thread" AND "Marabou silk floss". Anyone know what the difference is?"

Not to be smart about it, but the Gossamer silk thread is tying thread, and the marabou silk floss is four-strand floss. They are both great for tying soft hackles and I use a lot of it. Try it, you'll like it. The fly in my avatar was tied with marabou silk floss and silk thread.

Thank you guys again for the info. I always see in old soft-hackle patterns tyers using "sparse dubbing on silk thread"...and other times I see "smooth silk body". So there is a difference in materials. I got some very fine sand paper for my hands (300 gr I think) but I didn't want to start buying up all kind of silk materials without getting some input first. I guess its like anything with tying, start slow and see what works best for you.

JohnP, I like that "Wilted Spinach" that you posted.

Like SteelheadSlayer I also have to wear silk gloves whenever I work with floss. (Unless I can use single-stranded floss in a bobbin.) My rough fingers fray everything they touch!

I would Highly recommend purchasing JEC silk floss (Japanese Embroidery Company) There floss is silk. And is the best I have used.

A trick I use is to not wind the thread forward after tying in the floss. Rather use it as a dam to keep the floss tight as I wind forward.