Fly Tying
Flytyer14

I'm writing a Book.

Alright thanks guys, I understand what you are saying about the blog. I just do not have time to work on the book and write a blog. I've already made up my mind to write it, so thats what i'm going to do. thank you all again for your advice.

-Mark Varga

My $.02

What is the motivation for someone to send you some flies? To have their name in print? Reason I ask is that you stated half of your book will be of others patterns, though you would be the one to benefit financially from that section. Will each person who submit's a fly and get's it in the published version recieve some type of compensation since it would directly benefit you in the form of possible sales not to mention the bunches of flies that you would then have in your possession? Just something to think about, and probably a reason it hasn't been done before. If someone ties flies good enough for print wouldn't it be in their best interest to simply do it themselves and at the same time be compensated for their efforts, while getting to keep their own flies?

Might want to take a look at the book BugWater. It's a book about local bugs here in the Pacific NW. Every single fly in that book was donated by members of our local fly fishing board. No one expected anything in return for sending in the flies. However, the Author had a huge following from posting his bug photos and descriptions for 4 or 5 years on the board until he worked up enough material. We also prompted him into writing the book, while he was just happy posting it on the message board. I believe it took another 2-3 years to get everything approved from the editors, publishers, etc. But the finished product is amazing and one of my best references for matching the hatch.

FlyTyer14 - I personally would not feel comfortable sending flies because I have not seen anything from you that could be used in a book. After first reading this, it sounded like a good ploy to get a bunch of free flies. Not saying that's the case, I'm sure you have the best intentions. I agree with one of the above posters, start a blog, and start out with your own flies. Once you get people on board, they will be more willing to help out.

Take Care,

Chris

Like I said, don't let anyone dissuade you. A somewhat famous old school guy Terry Helleckson did something a little similar. He collected patterns from various tiers. In his book, some of the photographed flies were tied by the originators. Would really recommend looking at his book.

Bottom line, I am sure most anyone you asked to supply a fly and pattern for your book would be glad to supply one. I think most of us have wanted to do a book one time or another. We would be happy to help you.

Thanks,

Byron

I'm not trying to dissuade him, just something to think about. Whenever finances become involved, people react/expect/whatever differently. Also I was not aware that others had used this method before for creating a book ie: using donated flies and being successful. If you want to do it, and can find enough people to donate enough quality flies to fill half a book go for it.

Alright thanks guys, I understand what you are saying about the blog. I just do not have time to work on the book and write a blog. I've already made up my mind to write it, so thats what i'm going to do. thank you all again for your advice.

-Mark Varga

Mark, whatever you write will not be a waste of time. I don't think he was saying don't write a book and the example of a success that was given, the man took the blog material and used it for his book. I've written a few magazine articles that I was paid for and put out a popper manual but it was not an officially "published" book. So, I don't know which way is better here but if you write a blog like you were writing a book, you would get a feel for the acceptance of it and also input on the direction it is going. The material is written and you would take it and use it to print. It would be like having free copy editors at your disposal to critique the book in blog form and give you the chance to re-write as you go along and make changes so when you have enough material, it would be what the people want. Sounds like a win/win proposition to me. If you were worried about someone stealing your information, you would of course create a statement about the material being copied only with permission and with your on-line publications, have a time stamped record to prove if anyone ever copied and printed your stuff.

Kirk

Whether or not you are ever able to publish a book, working seriously on the project will help you learn more about something you love.

An uncle of mine recently self published a book on the centuries old tradition of cooking food in a Black Cast Iron Pot both indoors and

outdoors. It is over 300 pages long and was worked on off and on for 13 years before publishing. It isn't always about the money, but

about the satisfaction derived, giving something back, and carrying on a tradition.

Whether or not you are ever able to publish a book, working seriously on the project will help you learn more about something you love.

An uncle of mine recently self published a book on the centuries old tradition of cooking food in a Black Cast Iron Pot both indoors and

outdoors. It is over 300 pages long and was worked on off and on for 13 years before publishing. It isn't always about the money, but

about the satisfaction derived, giving something back, and carrying on a tradition.

Stippled, very interesting point. BTW, what is your Uncle's name and the name of the book. Sounds interesting.

I love cooking over wood.

Kirk

Stippled, very interesting point. BTW, what is your Uncle's name and the name of the book. Sounds interesting.

Kirk

Ditto. I love my iron...

Kirk

Ditto. I love my iron...

My uncle's name is Edward Braud III. The name of his book is Black Iron and Cajun Spice. More information and available at the link.

The book also contains some of his poetry and a lot of safety tips. . . much on his mind from years of work experience. There are a lot

of Cajun Jambalaya(As opposed to Creole) cooks in my family.

hmmm, i wonder if it was one of the more popular posters on the forum stating they were writing a fly tying book and was asking you to be in it with some flies you tie, would the reaction be the same or would it be more positive?

i see some of the responses to flytyer14 being positive and then some being quite harsh and speculative.

i have no idea what your purpose is for writing a your book (school project?) or who your target readers are (beginning tyers) but if its your goal to write a book then nobody or even negativity should stand in your way.

i would do a little more research online as to what it take to write a book and getting it published. with today's electronic technology, you may never need a publisher and offer your book as a download as some very successful authors are now doing.

in any case, go for it.

“There are no failures - just experiences and your reactions to them.”

The only failure in life is something never attempted.

I say give it a shot, why not you only live once, and if that's what you want to do, don't let anyone or anything stop you. I would be glad to send you a contribution or two, it's only a little of my time for a good cause.

Best of luck with this project.

Blane

I have been demonstration tying at FFF clubs, conclaves, rendezvous, and EXPOs for 25 years and given thousands of my flies (usually my original patterns) to folks at these events.

Like so many other tyers, I have a number of my original patterns that have been "claimed" and even published by others. I guess that the lure of "tying fame" is very strong for some folks...

So, please remember that a hell-of-a-lot of folks take a "known" pattern and make a very minor change and then "claim" this "new" pattern as their own. At other times, no changes, other than the "originator" are made. (The Fly Pattern Database of this web site is full of such examples.)

Sometimes, these tyers even honestly "forget" where "their original" pattern came from. As an example, a few years ago, I had a national publication picture a number of my original patterns, including one that I titled in it's name as "The Original" pattern. In response to that publication, I had a guide/tyer from Florida email and ask why is this pattern was "my" original, since this guide and others had developed this pattern some ten years previously? I then called and spoke with this person and asked, "In the four years prior to their "origination" of the pattern, did any of this group attend any of the FFF South Eastern Conclaves?" I was told that this person and others in that group had been at all of those shows. I then explained that I had handed out dozens of "my" pattern at each of these shows... There was a pause and then response was, "Well I guess that's were we learned it."

I am not meaning to show any disrespect, but can you honesty say that in a mere three years of tying, have you "hung-out" with large numbers of "experienced" tyers at fly fairs, conclaves, EXPO's, tying rendezvous, or other tyer gatherings in order to learn hundreds of "their original patterns"? Have you developed personal ties with numbers of experienced tyers whom you trust will advise you on the true origin of the patterns submitted? Do you really have the experience and knowledge of patterns to negotiate such a mine field?

If you are going to publish patterns, but please be very sure that you have completely vetted the true origin of those patterns and that you are not going to alienate those tyers who actually designed/originated a particular pattern. We tyers are like elephants, in that we never forget...

I would just ask that you proceed very cautiously...

Tight lines,

Kyle M.