Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jhammer

A medical twist....

I don't normally tell personal stuff online, but I have many friends on here and see no harm in doing so. After seeing a new neurologist, it's been determined that I in fact DO NOT have MS. I have early onset Parkinson's Disease. It was never diagnosed because it came on within a few years (PD is usually very slow). It turns out, the medications I have been on (Which most likely I don't even need.) actually accelerated the symptoms and made them appear 10-15 years ahead of time. Let this be a word of warning to all. You can get it at any age. I'm only 23 and have to start medication soon. If you experience a slight tremor, clumsiness, falls, memory loss, or dropping things, go to your doctor and request a visit to the neurologist. I certainly do not plan on giving up fly fishing or fly tying at all. In fact, the doctor said it can be very therapeutic as it works the muscles and brain, as well as your fine motor skills.

a friend of mine was diagnosed about 8 years ago he ties wooly buggars and EHCs by the dozens to keep his hand eye coordination working to the best as he can he never tied a fly till 3 years ago now he does it everyday unless his tremors get to bad

The new doctor is the one who found it at my first visit. I'm really glad I got away from my old one! :lol:

A very interesting website. I watched a couple of the videos. I plan on fighting it and living with a positive attitude. I watched my grandfather struggle for years with throat cancer and he didn't let it get him down. So, I will not let Parkinson's get me down.