Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TheCream

Even good hook companies produce duds!

Nice, its like any small part, occasionally bad ones slip through. In my line of work, I frequently go through large quantities of fasteners (nuts, bolts, etc.) We some times find bolts or screws that were never threaded and stuff like that.

You should send that pic in to Daiichi, they may do something about it. If nothing else, they may tighten up on their quality control.

i get a few now and then. i just throw them out. nothing is perfect!

if you have ever seen how fast the machinery moves that makes them, your lucky you only got one bad one in the box.

If it was me, for giggles and grins, I would tie a fly on it and use it. What is the worst that could happen. Or you could just tie it and save the fly.

Rob

If it was me, for giggles and grins, I would tie a fly on it and use it. What is the worst that could happen. Or you could just tie it and save the fly.

Rob

I once had a hook like this from a Mustad Signature series streamer hook. When I applied a small amount of pressure to the hook right where it was messed up just snapped. So if you could tie a fly, it was probably break when catching a fish.

I sure agree about sending the pic to the company with some cute quip about a new design of hook getting mixed in with the pack of ??????? that you bought. Make sure you include your name and mailing addy and they will probably send you another pack of hooks or ?????????. Any reputable company should at the very least make you whole. Please post results.

Rob

I agree also. I would try and use it to its advantage. Built in body ridges?

People would really bother contacting the company about one <$.20 hook out of hundreds or thousands? I have occasionally run across bad hooks from every brand. Unless it becomes a significant percentage it's not worth my time to worry about.

Last year I purchased an extremely brittle pack of TMC straight eye #10 dry fly hooks. When half of the first

ten I used broke before I finished making the flies, I tossed the whole pack including the tied ones that hadn't

broken.

What's wrong with it...??? It's got a point and an eye and it's almost straight.... pre bent for a nymph and you can easily tell where each of you body segments can begin and end.....

What's wrong with it...??? It's got a point and an eye and it's almost straight.... pre bent for a nymph and you can easily tell where each of you body segments can begin and end.....

What's wrong with it...???

they made it upside down!! :blink:

A bunch of years ago I got a box of hooks that had no heat treatment. You could actually bend them with your fingers. :angry:

A bunch of years ago I got a box of hooks that had no heat treatment. You could actually bend them with your fingers. :angry:

I can bend plenty of hooks with my fingers.... is that's what wrong with TMC 206bls?? I poked myself once or so I thought, turned out my skin was ok but the hook point totally went sideways... I should've known better after I had one open up on a nice steelie.

Flytire, ur right, i totally missed that it's upside down too.... but look at it, it's even got the right taper in the segments too.... smaller to large.

I'd mount it at my fly bench to remind me that when I screw up a fly I ain't the only one that screws up.... :rolleyes: