Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
NYtrout27

Buying materials

I started in march of this year so I am very new. But I have recently (in the past month) started tying tube flies for steelhead. I am trying to decide where to draw the line. I got the proflytyer tube kit for my bday and bought about $80 worth of materials to die up a few different patterns but only in a couple colors. Now I have been looking at a bunch more patterns I want to tie and multipule colors. Most of the materials needed, I do not have. For example arctic fox, finn raccon, more marabou & lady amherst to name a few. Well I went online to start my order. Some of the things I will get locally but this was mostly to get an idea of what it was going to cost. Well now my shopping cart is up to $407 :o This would be enough material to prolly tie a life time of tube flies for me and still be able to hand a few out. So at what point to you call this a hobbie or an obsession? If I do something I like to do it 110% so I want each pattern I tie in a few colors is why it gets so damn expensive. To justify it I am telling my self that I will also use a lot of these materials for pike flies and it will be enough for a long long time!

I'm sure I could get away with out but tying has very quickly became an obsession lol.

My opinion would be that if you started tying to save some money... Take your stuff back to the store and buy some flies. :):):)My wife has no idea what I have spent on fur and feathers, but she does know it is more than $407. Embrace the obsession and enjoy.

C

I started in march of this year so I am very new. But I have recently (in the past month) started tying tube flies for steelhead. I am trying to decide where to draw the line. I got the proflytyer tube kit for my bday and bought about $80 worth of materials to die up a few different patterns but only in a couple colors. Now I have been looking at a bunch more patterns I want to tie and multipule colors. Most of the materials needed, I do not have. For example arctic fox, finn raccon, more marabou & lady amherst to name a few. Well I went online to start my order. Some of the things I will get locally but this was mostly to get an idea of what it was going to cost. Well now my shopping cart is up to $407 :o This would be enough material to prolly tie a life time of tube flies for me and still be able to hand a few out. So at what point to you call this a hobbie or an obsession? If I do something I like to do it 110% so I want each pattern I tie in a few colors is why it gets so damn expensive. To justify it I am telling my self that I will also use a lot of these materials for pike flies and it will be enough for a long long time!

I'm sure I could get away with out but tying has very quickly became an obsession lol.

... So at what point to you call this a hobbie or an obsession? ...

You got it!

Take it from one with 40 FFF Conclave and EXPO pins, it is an obsession!

But a glorious one!

Actually, the best advice that I can give you is to only buy those materials that you know that you're gunna' need... and not in 10 colors! I still have colors of materials that I purchased with a use in mind for say one or two colors of the ten colors. Now over 30 years later, I have never used the other eight, but reordered those same two colors repeatedly!

When I pass away I hope my wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told I paid for it. Every time I go looking for some feathers in my tying room it's like Christmas all over again, I have stuff I bought years ago that I forgot about. You will not save money tying your own flies.Your flies will be tied the way you want them tied, the floaters will float and the sinkers will sink. WELCOME TO FLY TYING.... :D

hmmm,,, I probably only need to fish another 100 years for this stuff to pay for itself. wow! I'm gonna live to 157!!!

It took me all of about a day of tying to realize that tying your own was not a way to save money. I haven't made the $407 purchase yet... I have found about half the items on my list a buck or two cheaper somewhere else. I am gonna see what off the list I can get locally and then order the rest. I see your point bowfin, I don't need to get every color under the sun lol. I am trying to buy materials that I can utilze in flies for more than one species, IE: steelhead streamers and pike flies with the finn raccoon. I'm not married but I learned real fast that I don't tell the gf what all this costs ;) She is slowly putting down the spinning rod and using the fly rod more & more. She will benefit from all this in a way. I know that's not how she would see it but I can lie to myself, right? ;)

I have a standing list that I keep of material/colors that I want to purchase. I cross things off as I get them, and then usually add 2-3 more things for every 1 thing I cross off :blink: . I never thought about buying everything at once. Little here....little there....that way I can still eat dinner. I'm just guessing, but if I were to add it all up it would be around $700-$800 worth of stuff. However, as I look at my fly boxes(full) and my storage containers(enough flies for two years) I tell myself...."Go fishing, loose some flies, then i'm justified for buying more stuff" B) .

When I pass away I hope my wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told I paid for it.

Problem easily solved...adopt me and leave it to me in your will :lol: I really do have that problem...if the wifey knew what i am paying for some things (or what I am WILLING to pay) she would shoot me :unsure:

It took me all of about a day of tying to realize that tying your own was not a way to save money. I haven't made the $407 purchase yet... I have found about half the items on my list a buck or two cheaper somewhere else. I am gonna see what off the list I can get locally and then order the rest. I see your point bowfin, I don't need to get every color under the sun lol. I am trying to buy materials that I can utilze in flies for more than one species, IE: steelhead streamers and pike flies with the finn raccoon. I'm not married but I learned real fast that I don't tell the gf what all this costs ;) She is slowly putting down the spinning rod and using the fly rod more & more. She will benefit from all this in a way. I know that's not how she would see it but I can lie to myself, right? ;)

Have you tried Barlowstackle.com yet, I find that they have several of the items you listed for pretty good prices, like the amherst feathers.

WOW, only $700 or so in your first year, my wife kept track of what I spent in the first 6 months and it was about double that, and I about #^$* my pants when she showed me. I have stuff that I doubt I will ever use up, if at all, Don't do what I did!!!!

I went on an ebay buying spree and then tried to figure out how to use it all, still not sure what I'll ever use Blue Widebeast on :rolleyes: , but I have it if I ever need it B) B) .

I've heard it is an addiction and now I am convinced that I have said addiction, in a bad way.

Just enjoy it, and have a good time doin it.

Blane

I think I am slowly getting over the "I want to tie every pattern I see" mode. Slowly, not there yet. :rolleyes: I'm glad I'm not married YET either but, my girlfriend tells me I should be saving up for something sparkly.... :huh:

I'll check out barlowstackle, thanks mybadhabit!!

I'm glad I'm not married YET either but, my girlfriend tells me I should be saving up for something sparkly.... :huh:

ok buy her some tinsel hair extensions! :lol:

If everybody who

"I still have colors of materials that I purchased with a use in mind for say one or two colors of the ten colors. Now over 30 years later, I have never used the other eight"

put them up for trade or sale everyone could save a bunch of money or get materials to try out.

Just a thought for everyone.

put them up for trade or sale everyone could save a bunch of money or get materials to try out.

That is probably a good Idea. .......One thing we all must try to remember is that we can substitute materials.

I would love to have a fox pelt but ...too big, too much, too expensive. I just substitute.