Fly Tying
iFly

Fish Pictures

My wife got me an LLbean emerger II wading jacket for Christmas. It was on back order and arrived on Friday.  Saturday was cold drizzle so I thought it’s the perfect day to try it out. I only had a couple of hours but I threw my net on, grabbed 2 boxes of nymphs, some tippet, tin shot and off I went. 
The jacket worked great and I managed to hook 2 with one in the net. 

IMG_0862.thumb.jpeg.920c6708721d29178b4fe41e1f6f0c77.jpeg

We're nearly over-run with juvenile goliath grouper in the backcountry (interior) of the Everglades and nearby areas these days.  By juveniles - I mean fish less than fifty pounds.  They've been fully protected now for nearly thirty years and as a direct result they've been allowed to increase in population to the point that they're displacing other species...  Here's my latest example - a seven pound specimen taken in less than two feet of water while trying to catch a redfish or snook instead...

CqRRwIs.jpg

a great catch on an 8wt rod using a Seaducer pattern - but in a very shallow interior shoreline where you'd never expect to see one at all.. Kind of a mixed blessing I guess - but one more example of why my state needs to re-consider its protected status... 

pMVdHxU.jpg

tougher than an old leather boot and quite aggressive - they're the baddest fish in the 'glades - now if there were just not so many of them... Of course, like always - this specimen was carefully caught and released...

The weather here in Massachusetts was really nice yesterday, probably the nicest day for fishing we've had in 2 weeks.  But as it often happens a family obligation consumed most of the day.  My wife and I had 40 people for a brunch after Easter service.  By the time everyone had left and we cleaned up the temps were falling and I only had a little daylight left- but you fish when you can fish.  Our rivers are still very high so wading was out.  I headed to a nearby pool under a country road bridge that can be effectively covered with only a pair of Muck boots even in high water.  When I got there small stones were everywhere.  I tied on a single bead head nymph, there was enough of a breeze that tying on a 2nd dropper was probably a bad idea.  In about an hour of fishing I got a Brown, a Fall Fish and lost a fish.  It would have been nice to have had time during the warmest part of the day but with rain and a snow storm forecast for this week I'm glad I went.

IMG_1097.thumb.JPG.1ba8bd07ff3002d6afcf98c30dd386ab.JPG

IMG_1099.thumb.JPG.2ba992beec5cf2421ba4bfbe7fcdf233.JPG

This time of year everything's biting in the 'glades... This snook was caught and released with an 8wt rod and new streamer we've been using.... That fly took at least 20 fish that day.... 

3NmUKpG.jpg

Tail:   old yellowed polar bear

Hook:  Owner Aki light in size #1

Body:  synthetic Body Fur in fl. yellow

Eyes:  Wapsi presentation lead eyes

Weedguard:  #4 trolling wire (Malin's stainless, coffee colored.

Note... during my years filling fly orders for shops and anyone else who knew what they wanted.. I never used any of my small supply of polar bear for a single fly... Years later, as the hair is almost no longer usable I'm beginning to use a bit of it here or there... 

Tuesday and Wednesday the  weather was beautiful and I got out after work.  These 2 were at the bottom of the deepest pool on the stream.  It's tough to detect strikes when fishing deep on a 12' leader so there may have been others. This pool is one of the spots they spend the winter at.  It's about 8' deep, wide and the water slows.  So far they don't seem to have moved out of it.  I fished other prime but more shallow locations  yesterday.  I did have 4 hits that were likely small Fall Fish or Herring but no fish in the net. 

IMG_1148.thumb.JPG.68741689bc9352b4993124df5b88704b.JPG

58657668_FRENCHRIVER4-9-24.thumb.JPG.b73bea0457a02a8dde413bb7eab6bec6.JPG

5 fish on, 3 stayed on and made it to the net.  All on wet flies (Pheasant tail soft hackle, Irish Mayfly and a Hamlin winged wet). 

52311125_QUINEBAUGWESTVILLE4-15-24.thumb.JPG.773297500fe8a68943ecda32a4867ae7.JPG

1205867545_PHEASANTTAILSOFTHACKLE.PNG.6867b97b319b054ec2baa6fccf13c14f.PNG

67201502_QUINEBAUGWESTVILLE2WESTVILLE4-15-23.thumb.JPG.b7ce5e4c8137021b056c10e52604a0dd.JPG

983687886_IRISHMAYFLY.JPG.124cfe2c7acbb96550af027972cb3b36.JPG

1315532792_QUINEBAUGWESTVILLE4-16-23.thumb.JPG.e9a48e7c790c75dc5764e7e17a6de008.JPG

HAMLIN.JPG.92f099d6a2b0541aa34eebff517cee67.JPG

As the year on my PA fishing license shows this photo was taken in 2007...late June to be exact. This fish was my first of the trip and it came from the Grand River near Gaspe, Quebec. It came from the pool just below the barrier fence to halt the fish to control poaching in the upper stretches of the river. Late in the season the barrier is removed so the fish can continue their journey to the spawning areas.

As you can see this is a bright silver fresh fish of about 10 pounds. Here is the interesting part...it still has sea lice on it since it is so fresh and those buggers live 24 to 48 hours in the fresh water. This pool on the river is...according to my guide Gordy...60 kilometers from the salt water or about 40 miles. That fish entered the river with the water at an ideal level and didn't stop until it got to the fence in less than 48 hours Truly amazing!!!

638571779_P6300077(2).thumb.jpg.58779500c9105c32a23d9b7e7a957fb8.jpg

Family commitments pinned me down and I only managed 2 hours of stream time this weekend.  I got 3 eats from 3 strong fish but I have no pictures to post because I lost them all. 😫  2 of them out fought me, eventually spitting my flies and the third one left me with that nauseating little curly Q at the end of my empty tippet.  The 20 minute car ride home was a long one - lots of second guessing myself and that feeling of throwing the game losing interception. They won this round but I'll be back, stupid fish!