Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Aqueous1025

Hackle Guard troubles

I was using the FAO site when I was first looking at purchasing tools and bought a set of terra hackle guards in my initial purchase, they looked like the ones in the FAO site picture. I have tried to use them a few times and every time I do they cut the thread or thin it like a razor blade dragged across the thread to the point that it breaks with almost no tension. I have been using the finger triangle method since. I was wondering though if anyone else has had this problem? Is there a certain way to use them so this doesn't happen? Is there a way to fix these so they work? I looked around and they all seemed to be made in India leading me to believe that same company or not they are all identical made by the same group of people? Does anyone know if there are better ones out there and where to buy them from?

Thank you

I think you are talking about the metal hackle guards with a slit to slide your thread into before making a whip finish. If the slit or any part of the metal has a burr on it, it will slice the thread. You can try and "polish the edges, and the hole, but that may not be easy. YOu could also simply replace them or better yet make your own.

You can punch a hole in half a business card, and slice it or cut from the center to the hole for a disposable hackle guard. Or use a thin piece of plastic. Burn the hole with a hot needle and slice it. An old 35 mm film canister works fine, as does the inner seal disk from an orange juice container. If you have a bobbin with a straight ceramic tube (my Auto-bobbin does,) then you can just slip the disk over the shaft.

i have never had the thread cut with the 3 finger method so thats what i still use :rolleyes:

a short piece of drinking straw attached to the barrel of your bobbin holder makes a good guard

fotw20090622_8.jpg

or even an o-ring around the barrel of your bobbin holder would work

rubber band method

6045SEFFFTT02.JPG

thin cardboard

HomemadeParaGuards.JPG

All of the above will work fine. I use a peice of drinking straw. I cut it to length, then slit it lengthwise so you can get the thread in. You can also just put your thread thru it before you attach it to the hook, and keep it on the barrell of your bobin. When you need it, just slide it off the barrell and up the thread and onto the fly. Save your straw next time you drive thru Biggie Burger. Note that not all burger places have the same size straw, some might be too big.

Flytire's 3rd method works very well with hackle on parachte patterns. I have used one of the small plastic thingys that are used to keep bread wrappers closed. Just bend the end up as shown.

Haven't tried the rubber band thing yet, but certainly looks like it would work fine.

Any of the above will keep the hackle out of the way when you whip finish the head, and when (if) you coat the head with cement or laquer.

I agree with the previous responses. I have used rubber bands, drinking straws, masking tape, a wrapping of lead wire,... But mostly I just use my fingers. I have owned a set of hackle guards since I started tying and haven't used them since the first disappointing attempts.

I am so glad to find out that I am not the only one who finds anything sharp the hurtful way LOL. The only reason I don't like the finger method is because I constantly wind up with the hook burried into one of my fingers. Thank you all for the advice. I'll give them all a good go and check the edges of my hackle guards for a smooth edge too. The hackle guards are a good idea if they worked...... I figured I would ask, you never know when you might just be missing the point of something completely. Sometimes I find the easiest of things are just to easy and wind up over thinking them or missing the point completely.

Forgot to mention that I don't use the 3-finger method cuz I almost always poke myself with the hook. Just naturally graceful, I guess.

Gee, I thought punctured, swollen fingers were the mark of a dedicated tyer.

nobody repositions the hook point INSIDE the vise jaws when doing this simple 3 finger operation?? hmmm

Here's how to end your Hackle Guard problems. Get and old pair of waders and cut out the foot section or just find a piece of neopreme. Such as old wet suit etc. Cut a circle out about 1/2 inch and punch a hole in it with a pair of scissors. Slide it on your bobbin and then after you tie your hackle and tirm it off hold your thread tight and slide your new hackle guard up and over your hackle. whip finish. It works great!