Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bluegill576

Where can I get Alula Pheasant feathers?

I was wanting to get some alula feathers from a pheasant, but can not find any fly shop with them. I know they are pretty rare because there are only two per bird. I wanted them to make some Kenbane Kebaris (tenkara fly). Any body know where to get some? Thanks in advance.

you can get a pheasant skin and have a few pair

Alula feathers - "The number of alula feathers varies from only 2 quills in hummingbirds to as many as 5 or 6 in some cuckoos. In most passerines, they number 3 or 4

I would venture to say the middle or the greater coverts would be an acceptable substitute

don't forget you also need Eye of Newt and Toe of Frog.

There are probably a lot of fly tying materials you have that aren't completely necessary. They make great soft hackles.

try Mr.Park he is a friend of mine from Korea he owns Prince Tackle his phone number is +82-02-486-8212 if he don't have it he will get it for you

Thanks but does he have an email because with my phone plan international calls are really expensive.

honestly I would say get yourself a shotgun and find a place to kill some pheasants. There are usually pay-to-kill pheasant farms within a half-days drive of just about anywhere, unless you're in the deep southeast or far southwest. Either that or befriend some hunters and ask them to keep you in mind if they ever get a pheasant. Any way you obtain them is going to be expensive, from what I can see, unless you are a bird hunter already then it's a fringe benefit. See if there is a nearby or local chapter of Pheasants Forever (kind of like the TU of pheasant world) and send someone an e-mail or give them a phone call explaining what you want--- you might just get a bag full of them before you know it because I guarantee almost all pheasant hunters just throw away the wings. You're a commercial tyer so if you are tying them to sell, be careful because Lacey Act and state gamebird regulations may apply.

Do you have any pictures because those were pluckled from the leeding edge or first row of feathers near the tip of the wing. The pic shows about 15 wings worth of feathers.