Fly Tying

January 2012: Flies from the Vise

Thanks Utyer Ilike your gnats as well , the nymph in the first photo is killer.

Chase Creek your soft hackles very nice also.

Fred

I downsized a muskie pattern called the Supercharger to a 1/0 size for plus-sized bass. Total fly length is about 5.5" long. It's all synthetics and bucktail, so it should shed water well and be very castable for a bulky, large fly. This is sort of a sunfish-type color pattern. I also have done these in a shad color (gray and pink bucktail, pearl and gray flash), a mostly white w/red gills, and a purple/blue/black mix.

DSC_0260.jpg

DSC_0255.jpg

Bass bugs are what I have been working on.This is my first try at stacking deer hair,it is kinda hard for me but I am just learning.

post-33030-0-81907800-1327170374_thumb.jpg

I'm just getting started at this, but I'm pretty happy with this guy. It's an Adams wannabe--the abdomen is goose biot, the tail is mallard feather (I think), it has a brown hackle, and fluffy grizzly maribou wings. I was copying a fly a tyer gave me at our local fly tying show last week.

6739410841_f5e611ca62.jpg

Great flies, folks!

It's been a busy month so far away from the vice, so I don't have any pictures to show. All I've managed to tie is a few surf candy, and a few soft hackle. I miss my vice.

REFACTORYPUPAAMBER-1-.jpg

REFRACTORY CADDIS PUPA – AMBER, #18…Daiichi 1760

AMBERSERENNB-1-.jpg

AMBER KF GUIDE SERENDIPITY…#18-#20…

...both are imitations for Helicopsyche borealis - which comes off here, in late Spring and Summer:

MIKEEWCADDISAMBER-1-.jpg

PT/TB ;)

Here is another from today. An icecream cone which is a midge imitation. Very simple to tie. Size #16 curved hook with split black uni-flexx and 8/0 white thread. Coated with Diamond Hard UV Resin.

imgp0448k.jpg