Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

I'm back!

Hey gang, my apologies for being so scarce lately. I finally have my computer back online but am still sufferring freeze ups when I use WORD or try to do anything involving deep files. I even called a tech company and they couldn't figure it out so file by file I've been tearing it apart and everyday get a little closer to the solution. Well, the soulution that doesn't involve running an electromagnet over the harddrive and reformatting!

I had to find a registry tool that could get through whatever was blocking most that I attempted to use to get into the registry. They'd scan it (at best) and then crash. I finally found one that broke through the problem (System Mechanic) and was able to fix/delete a bunch of bad registry files. This allowed me to uninstall and reinstall each program that I knew had files which showed up as bad in every defrag and checkdisk that I ran. I finally narrowed down my internet problem to Norton of all things! Once I cleaned the registry and uninstalled it, I could get online. The thing is, I've been running it for years without a problem, so this was a surprise.

However, now when I try to reinstall it, it's asking for a disk that I don't have. I'm using several different backup virus protections, so for now things are good. I just have to find what is causing the freezeups! By the way, it actually won't LET me reformat the drive. I keep getting a message to close any windows that are showing file information or any programs that are running. I can't find a darn thing and I'm starting to believe that there's a worm or trojan somewhere that none of my programs can reveal.

*sigh*

I do have an electromagnet...

First response: What the heck is that?

Second response: WHAT THE HECK IS THAT??

"Adjust your vertical hold, and put some English on it. unsure.gif "

Back atcha Mark!!! biggrin.gif

Maybe if you spoke american, I could help you with the problem.. . blink.gif

Did you try moving the rabbit ears around or hitting it on the side. dunno.gif

GAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!

*huff, puff...*

tap-tap-tap...

bang-bang-bang!

Hurmpphhh...crash!!!

chik-clik-

BLAM!!!

I'll be looking for a new hard drive tomorrow.

As a tech, 90% of the time it is quicker and much less costly to just format and move on.

Once the system is redone take these steps.

Windows update ALL of the critical patches.

Install an AntiVirus and update

Install a real firewall.

Download FireFox. (Alternative to Internet Explorer)

If you don't want to install FireFox remember just about anyone can install any spy / add ware on your system while you are browsing. One way to prevent most of it is to turn of scripts ASP and Java and disable cookies unfortunatly this will be a real pain as many sites use scripts and cookies.

Download FireFox wink.gif

Another note to remember whenever you get a box that pops up with a plug in or program to view a website choose NO this is how gator and some of the other nasty addware programs install on your system.

Depending on you computer skills there are backup programs out there as well.

Stupid computers.

I am gonna try Firefox. Do I need to prep anythign before or after I download Firefox? Like uninstalling IE or something?

Nope, just install it. Then set it as default. Its great at least it will be until it becomes very popular.

Another option is Adaware do a search on downloads.com it removes adware from your system. You could also use Norton's Win Doctor to help fix registry errors.

The Adaware is a free download for personal use. Win Doctor is around 40$.

Do like I done just buy a new puter. I tried to format my hard drive was bad. So weighed the costs and decided to replace the 97 model pentium II 300. "about time" Was going to after X-mas but office depot had an E Machine 2.66ghz., 80gig HD, card readers, dvd/cd-rw drive with monitor and printer after rebates I will have $320 in it. So no to bad Dell wanted Over $500. for the same machine. and found out Emachine is a gateway product so not bad!