Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

9 Months baby!!

Everyone I know said I could not do it! but this week (Friday) after 19 yrs as a smoker, I am 9 months smoke free! B)

IMO the best decision I have ever made in my life.

Steve

well done that man, I am trying to give up myself

& I know its not easy.

The money your saving must be great for flytying

materials.

Everyone I know said I could not do it! but this week (Friday) after 19 yrs as a smoker, I am 9 months smoke free! B)

IMO the best decision I have ever made in my life.

Steve

way to go bro but I must say being my friend was your best decison you ever made :lol: keep up the good work once you get a year in it is all good

way to go bro but I must say being my friend was your best decison you ever mad

I'm sorry...don't that fall under "worst mistakes ever?" ya big hairy hillbilly lol....ya know I love ya brother ;) B)

joops....trust me, if I can quite, anyone can quite man. Seriously. I smoked a pack and a half of Newports per day, I couldn't do ANYTHING withing a cig in my mouth. I NEVER thought I could quiet, and every one I knew told me I couldn't quite. But I did B) And trust me man if I can anyone can.

Just takes that first day of REALLY trying ti get ya to start.

Steve

Congrats man. How'd you do it? I'm trying to get my girlfriend to quit and she wants to but each time she's tried she just gets nuts, miserable and boderline depressed and lasts about three weeks and smokes again. She's tried Chantix and it messes with her head even more so that's a no-go. She's talking about doing hypnotism for it now! Any tips?

Congrats on the smoking, that is a great accomplishment.

But I have to say, I think you could have picked a better subject for the thread. I saw '9 months' and 'baby' in the same sentence..........

Keep it up.

Deeky

Congrats man. How'd you do it? I'm trying to get my girlfriend to quit and she wants to but each time she's tried she just gets nuts, miserable and boderline depressed and lasts about three weeks and smokes again. She's tried Chantix and it messes with her head even more so that's a no-go. She's talking about doing hypnotism for it now! Any tips?

She probably should use the nicotine patch or gum (or both) to get her through the (cigarette, not nicotine) withdrawal period. Once the cigarettes are out of the picture for a few weeks, she can toss the patch and stick with the gum until she's ready to detox. I used both the patch and the gum, and had a relatively easy time of it after many failed attempts without a nicotine substitute. (I still use the gum, even after eight years, but like my doctor says, it ain't gonna kill me) Take it from a certified drug counselor - nicotine is one of the most addictive substances on the planet. Despite what you see in the movies, it's easier to kick heroin than nicotine. BTW - IME, hypnotism is a complete waste of time, and there's no way to tell what a person's reaction to psychotropic drugs will be. The patch and the gum are safer and more reliable. Also, it's not a bad idea for her to check with her doctor to get some guidance on dosage. Quitting smoking doesn't have to be a miserable experience with the aids that are available today, but you still have to be motivated.

Congrats Steve!

kodiak I did it completely cold turkey this time. Before this I had tried to quit probably 50+ times (serious tries) and I always tried cutting down, tried "fake cigs", tried nicotine inhaler, tried just about everything. This time I just finally realized that I was turning 40 yrs old and had been a smoker for way to long and if I keep it up I was gonna die young. And I DON'T want to die, so I got up one morning looked at the half pack I had left and I tossed them in the trash. That was it. Sounds oversimplified but honestly as someone that has been there and has finally quite I will say with 100% certainty that the most important "tool" in quitting is just to finally get it through your head that you can either keep smoking and die young, or quit and live another 20 yrs longer. It's just one of those things that a person has to come to terms with on their own and finally decide to really do it.

I hope your girlfriend does manage to quit. I can tell her for sure she will feel SOOOO much better. I no longer cough, I can sleep on my back without waking up every 30 mins coughing, I can walk and do things without getting out of breath. It's amazing how much better you feel when you quit.

Steve

Great news Steve,15 yrs for me now I was a 2 packs per day man and went cold turkey as well, you like me were obviously ready to kick the habit, my secret was to go day by day, each day smoke free was a victory.

Steve