Fly Tying
jbh

Fly tying vise

I am brand new to fly tying (and fly fishing). I have not yet purchased a vise. I need advice on which brands & models are the best. Whether it w/b good to spend extra on a rotary vise because it is supposedly easier for a beginner or go w/ a non-rotary vise? I don't have he greatest dexterity in the world (to be honest), and I'd really like to see if I will enjoy fly tying w/o breaking the bank. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

Here are my thoughts and a few suggestions.

There are two schools of thought on what vise a beginner should get. One group says get a cheap vise; even though it will only last a short time. By the time you are ready to replace it, you will have had a chance to learn if you are going to stay with tying or not. You will also have had a chance to see a few other vises, maybe even try a few out at a local shop or tying expo. These first two links are to a couple of inexpensive vises that should get you started. They will even rotate, but they are not true rotary vises.

Spring Action Vise

Master Vise

The second group will advise you to get a better quality vise that will last. There are a few vises that will fit into this category. Griffin vises are excellent quality, and several are under $60.00. Here is a link to just one of the Griffin vises.

Griffin Web Exclusive

Honestly, most will tell you you will not find a decent vise for under $50. Some will say more. Since you are a beginner and you are not sure you will like tying, I'd suggest a standard vise like this:

vise

The problem with less expensive vises might be wobble in the vise, however, this one will get one started. If you enjoy tying, and feel you wish to continue, after a while, you can consider a much more expensive and finely made tool. Many tiers like myself started out on less expensive vises, which worked fairly well. The more tying you do, the more you will want something better.

look here:Vise reviews

Mark

Here are my thoughts and a few suggestions.

There are two schools of thought on what vise a beginner should get. One group says get a cheap vise; even though it will only last a short time. By the time you are ready to replace it, you will have had a chance to learn if you are going to stay with tying or not. You will also have had a chance to see a few other vises, maybe even try a few out at a local shop or tying expo. These first two links are to a couple of inexpensive vises that should get you started. They will even rotate, but they are not true rotary vises.

Spring Action Vise

Master Vise

The second group will advise you to get a better quality vise that will last. There are a few vises that will fit into this category. Griffin vises are excellent quality, and several are under $60.00. Here is a link to just one of the Griffin vises.

Griffin Web Exclusive

My $.02.....You say you aren't sure whether you will like it or not.....Can you borrow a vice from someone? If not, my recommendation would be to buy a cheap one, all of the big box retailers offer some for under $20.00...you will be starting off w/the basic fly patterns, nothing too big/small or complicated so that type of vice will work fine.....once you get the basics down and know your needs better and decide you enjoy flytying, you can upgrade and save your cheapy as a spare or loaner.....as far as lack of dexterity goes, I am in the same boat, I have been tying on/off for close to 40 years....to this day, my flies will never win any contests......but they catch fish.....Here is another vice review:

www.flyfishohio.com/Vise%20Review%201/Fly_Tying_Vise_Shoot-Out.html

Mike

I am also pretty new to tying and I found an article that helped me decide back in November on which vise to purchase.

I am also on a budget and did not want to put a lot of money into a vise. Read this article if you have not already read it.

go to www.FlyFishOhio.com scroll down the front page to "Fly Tying Vise Round-Up" and read the whole article and

it will give you a pretty good insight on vises. and also read this thread here in the beginner,s corner " how to get started".

By MarkBob. A very good article to read, and I also added an article " what I Would Buy On a Budget To Get Started", it

is in pdf format. it is in my reply to MarkBob's article. and yes it is confusing in knowing what to buy, just do your homework

and read and it will get easier to you. IF you are not sure about tying an inexpensive vise will work just fine and most will

do the job until you can decide.

Take advantage of the advice given by these experienced tyers. I gave one of my nephews a cheap vise to start on, and when he tied plenty of flies, he moved onto a better vise.

Take advantage of the advice given by these experienced tyers. I gave one of my nephews a cheap vise to start on, and when he tied plenty of flies, he moved onto a better vise.

Thanks, everybody. I think I've been doing too much analyzing. I'm going to start out w/ an inexpensive one from Cabela's or Bass Pro Shop & go from there. Hopefully, I'll like tying and move up to something better. Fortunately, I have my son (an avid fly fisherman) to guide me!

Thanks again.

John

Seems like I'm always pitching this option, but I was in the same boat as you and started out on a kit from J Stockard (site sponsor). It was a great way to get a feel for tying on the cheap. I'm still using many of the tools and the vise was perfectly adequate for getting started.

Seems like I'm always pitching this option, but I was in the same boat as you and started out on a kit from J Stockard (site sponsor). It was a great way to get a feel for tying on the cheap. I'm still using many of the tools and the vise was perfectly adequate for getting started.

John, if you're like me you won't stick with the cheaper vise for long. I started in August with a Griffin Superior 2A. It's a fine vise but after a couple of tying classes I realized just how helpful a rotary can be. I still have the Griffin but it didn't take long for me to upgrade to a Renzetti Saltwater Traveler. I love it and being able to spin the vise either to wrap materials or check the balance of the fly is incredibly helpful.

Good luck!

Well I am also new to the sport and I went the other way, I jumped straight in with a Griffin Montanna Mongoose and I feel I won't be needing another vise for a long long time.

I started with a kit vise inside of six months went to a peak, then to Renzetti Presentation 2000, then to a Dyna king professional. I think I have a problem. I have bought all of these vises inside of 2 years of tying and enjoy tying on all of them. If you look on the forum or ebay you can find some good deals. If I had to do it again I do not know if I would change a thing it has and still is a fun experience learning the trade. When I started I was unsure of my commitment level. I started tying just to have flies for when I arrived to fish and not have to wait on the fly shop to open. I needed a lot of flies because I was loosing a lot of them due to my over zealousness of setting the hook on 5x tippet. I use to fish bass tournaments so I was accustomed to setting the hook like my life depended on it. Plus I thought I would save some money (I was wrong). What I have found is that I really enjoy tying. I find that tying helps me get that much more excited for my fishing trips. Plus when I caught my first fish on the crappiest impersonation of a pheasant tail nymph I new I was hooked. You may want to start with a cheap vise. Good luck on your future endeavor let us know how it goes.

also being a beginner I have been tying on a cheap vice without any problems so far but last night I got to use a griffin montana vice and really noticed the difference and I loved the ease of clampig the hook. my current vice should be fine for a while but I plan to move up after trying a few other models.

As a beginner tyer I would like to throw in my two cents. Get a rotary vise. You don't have to plop down $150. But I have tied a few flies on a static vise and a few on my grandfathers old rotary and the rotary makes things by far, if not easier, more smooth.