Fly Tying
Flies & Photos

Speckled Trout Fly SWAP

looking forward to seeing them. thot id give an explanation of what i was trying to get at with mine. it is upside down in the photo which may be to show the beads or may be because the design is not obvious. it is an attempt at the billy bay gold shrimp. we had an unbelievable year with those. i saw some interesting extended body bead flies in an old Hatches and thot it would be interesting to try to get the fly to ride hook up without dumbells. played around with some different shapes and the teardrop worked great right at the start of the bend. i used some different sizes and settled on the black one. the antelope in the front seems to make it pop up off the bottom. please let me know how it works in your conditions.

Thanks again Dave for managing this one. it has been nice to "meet" all y'all.

if any of you get to s. cackalacky i have access to some great fishing areas.

L8R

I will be in the Keys in two weeks and might just have a chance at casting a few of these.

That's not fair! :angry:

;)

I'm heading out with Heroes on the Water Sunday. Hope to snag some nice ones with these guys.

Got mine in today, great stuff everyone. I hope to get out this weekend so hopefully I can get a few fish to abuse some of these. Thnaks for hosting a really great swap, Dave.

Dave (Panama Red Dave), did you use extra select marabou for the fly, or just palmer several feathers consecutively? I love the fullness of it

Got mine in today, great stuff everyone. I hope to get out this weekend so hopefully I can get a few fish to abuse some of these. Thnaks for hosting a really great swap, Dave.

Dave (Panama Red Dave), did you use extra select marabou for the fly, or just palmer several feathers consecutively? I love the fullness of it

Thanks Andy, Just palmered 4 feathers or so consecutively. I ordered 1/2oz strung blood quill from e-bay for the swap, gonna have to find more patterns to use it all up :blink:

My buddy and his daughter have been killing the redfish in east bay, how are thing down your way?

Thanks Andy, Just palmered 4 feathers or so consecutively. I ordered 1/2oz strung blood quill from e-bay for the swap, gonna have to find more patterns to use it all up :blink:

My buddy and his daughter have been killing the redfish in east bay, how are thing down your way?

they have been pretty good lately. The redfish have been in real thick and the flats are starting to really heat up. The macks and blues should start showing up pretty soon. Got several reds and trout, a flounder and a short cobia last time out, so it's getting that time when you can hit several species in one day. I hope to get out this weekend since the weather should be decent. Have you been getting to fish much?

they have been pretty good lately. The redfish have been in real thick and the flats are starting to really heat up. The macks and blues should start showing up pretty soon. Got several reds and trout, a flounder and a short cobia last time out, so it's getting that time when you can hit several species in one day. I hope to get out this weekend since the weather should be decent. Have you been getting to fish much?

No, we have had some primo days but work just wouldn't slow up enough. I just got up to check the weather while the wife is getting ready for work, rain moving in from the west and breezy by mid morning...It's going to be a work on the jeep day, will try again tomorrow.

got mine. very interesting mix as was said. hate to get them wet but i plan to try if the wind/rain will back down. what is the body material on Tinney shrimp?

hate to get them wet

Same here. I think I'm going to take pics first.

50% chance of rain today and the thunder is booming. Hopefully tomorrow will look better.

The shrimp is two different colots of craft fur and pheasant to give a leggy look. Two flash colors blended, two hackles extended, two rubber antennae, and two mono stem eyes. Rattle inserted in Mylar tubing, epoxied for strength and weight balance tied to hook shank inside body materials. Foam head, sharpies and a 5 min epoxy finish.

The shrimp is two different colots of craft fur and pheasant to give a leggy look. Two flash colors blended, two hackles extended, two rubber antennae, and two mono stem eyes. Rattle inserted in Mylar tubing, epoxied for strength and weight balance tied to hook shank inside body materials. Foam head, sharpies and a 5 min epoxy finish.

The thing that amazes me most is the foam...Your shrimp back is pure art, I almost left it in the package, but art be damned! you tied tied it to fish...and fish it I will ;)

Fish the hell out of it guys, if it gets destroyed I will make more! It would thrill me to see mangled remnants and certainly warrant a replacement.

i guess it is the epoxy on the foam that makes it leatherlike. i will have to play with that. its a nice looking shrimp.

Totally agree on the shrimp. Amazing look and presentation. Even the packaging was amazing. Sheesh, I feel like a slug now. I haven't had a chance of fish with those beauties yet. I was on a spring turkey hunt this weekend. Lots of gobblers out but none taken on the bow and arrow (which I liken as e fly fishing equivalent to hunting.) My most enjoyable moment was calling a Tom that was 20yds behind us that my son and I didn't know was there until he gobbled. We looked at each other in total shock and surprise. And we never heard from him again. We shared a laugh about that on the drive home.