Fly Tying
breambuster

Bluegill Swap Club For March

Here is the Bluegill Swap Club thread for March. The pattern this month is Soft Hackle/Wet Fly. What I have in mind here is your choice of either a soft hackle fly, such as the "Grouse And Green" or a classic Wet Fly pattern such as something from the Ray Bergman Collection that has been features here and in "Hatches." There are lots of wet flies besides the Ray Bergman collection and it doesn't have to be as complicated as some of his stuff, but that's the general type and shape that I'm thinking about. Hope this helps. Have fun chooses and tying up a set of flies!

BB

1. Breambuster - SM - Partridge And Yellow Soft Hackle - Completed

2. Riffleriversteelheadslayer - SPY (Sword Pheasant Yellow) - Received

3. Famil00 - Received

4. Bluegill576

5. Fly Willy - Received

6. Eastern Fly - Received

7. Lukemccoy - Received

8. Dreamcaster4639 - Black & Purple Soft Hackle - Received

9. Andydoc - Received

10. FrequentTyer - Received

11. Fshrmanms - Received

12.Foambug- Received

I've got you down, Riff. I'll have to look that one up. It's a new one on me. Can't wait to see your tie.

Take care

BB

Gonna tie up a Cockaroo. Hopefully Phil (my 5 yr old boy) can concentrate enough to give you guys a treat of his own...

well breambuster...sorry...I tied up some McGinty Bees Wet Flies instead...sorry you guys had to be my experimenters with wet fly wings, but it was worth it. Phil does have a surprise for you guys...

post-9829-0-04104000-1330811106_thumb.jpg

post-9829-0-60886300-1330811274_thumb.jpg

post-9829-0-74527800-1330811441_thumb.jpg

post-9829-0-68151900-1330811539_thumb.jpg

Andydoc, it looks like you've got an awesome little teacher there to show you how to tie some flies. He looks like an experienced hand to me. Pay attention and he can teach you a lot!

The McGinty Bees look great to me. Wings aren't easy and it looks to me that you did a great job with them.

Easternfly, I really like the looks of the soft hackle. Can't wait to try it out.

Take care

BB

March is a brown hackle over orange uni yarn w/gold rib and orange crystal flash tail (the ones hanging not the ones laying down) .

Feb. and Mar. pushed me out of my comfort zone some, I love craft foam or popping bugs. Good practice though, I am finding it takes me somewhere between four and twelve tries with the smaller flies to learn to tie a new pattern, is that normal? or do I just have fat fingers? The flies I've received so far show me I still have a ways to go. The flies laying down in the bottom of the picture is where I tried tying the tellico nymph on a #12 but it seems like the heads come out too big. I have tied about a dozen and only happy with two. My buddy will be glad when he rifles my reject pile. The big head thing seems to be a bad trend in my tying, any advice?

post-30867-0-71337200-1331593351_thumb.jpg

March is a brown hackle over orange uni yarn w/gold rib and orange crystal flash tail (the ones hanging not the ones laying down) .

Feb. and Mar. pushed me out of my comfort zone some, I love craft foam or popping bugs. Good practice though, I am finding it takes me somewhere between four and twelve tries with the smaller flies to learn to tie a new pattern, is that normal? or do I just have fat fingers? The flies I've received so far show me I still have a ways to go. The flies laying down in the bottom of the picture is where I tried tying the tellico nymph on a #12 but it seems like the heads come out too big. I have tied about a dozen and only happy with two. My buddy will be glad when he rifles my reject pile. The big head thing seems to be a bad trend in my tying, any advice?

They all look good to me; Id fish with any of them :) as for advice patience, time and practice. That's what I was told a few years ago.