Fly Tying
chriswalrath

Bobbin woes

Well, got a box of goodies from Cabelas. Included was a bobbin with the steel shaft. I got a bobbin with the ceramic shaft with a beginners kit.

I had been using the ceramic bobbin until today. I used the steel bobbin for the first time and I found that my thread was shredding like a rope against a sharp rock edge in all those bad adventure movies. I then go to draw out a little more line and it just snaps and 'Cliffhanger' comes to a sudden end. I even let off on the tension around the hook a little and the thread was still showing some serious wear at the point where it was rubbing around the end of the steel tube.

So, do steel bobbins have this as a classic character flaw or is this pilot error? I can answer any other questions to figure this out. Not sure what kind of other info to offer to speed thing along. Thanks in advance for all of your help, folks.

Well, got a box of goodies from Cabelas. Included was a bobbin with the steel shaft. I got a bobbin with the ceramic shaft with a beginners kit.

I had been using the ceramic bobbin until today. I used the steel bobbin for the first time and I found that my thread was shredding like a rope against a sharp rock edge in all those bad adventure movies. I then go to draw out a little more line and it just snaps and 'Cliffhanger' comes to a sudden end. I even let off on the tension around the hook a little and the thread was still showing some serious wear at the point where it was rubbing around the end of the steel tube.

So, do steel bobbins have this as a classic character flaw or is this pilot error? I can answer any other questions to figure this out. Not sure what kind of other info to offer to speed thing along. Thanks in advance for all of your help, folks.

The problem with cheap steal bobbins is that tend to have burs on or in the shaft its self. The burs are responsible for cutting your thread. Long story short, the bobbin is defective and dont hesitate to return it cabelas.

All the best

Johnny Utah

Sounds like you've got a bad one. You'd be ahead of the game by tossing it and sticking with ceramic bobbins from here on out. I've never had a plain metal one that didn't end up giving me trouble.

This is not a problem specific to steel shafts- it can also happen with ceramic tubes or inserts. My favourite bobbin is a Matarelli, which has a steel shaft. My second and third favourites have ceramic tubes. You may be able to smooth the mouth of the tube with some very fine emery paper, but I would send it back to the retailer for replacement.

I have used nothing but ceramic and had no problems. I've also found you get what you pay for, the really cheap ones are no good

I have used a steel bobbin for 3 months now with no problem, even after hitting a cement floor.

I have 15 metal tube bobbins. All have a ceramic insert at the tip. Only one had the problem of fraying the

thread which is why I don't have 16 metal tube bobbins. The problem one had a crack in the ceramic insert.

I've never tried a metal tube bobbin without the insert.

Cheap or damaged metal tube bobbins may have this problem. I've never had any problem with my metal tube bobbins from Matarelli.

When i first started tying i had a metal tube bobbin and then i got a ceramic one and it has been awesome. The only time the thread has brokem is when i have too much tension :D.. But i still use the metal tube for heavier threads and wires.

Cheap or damaged metal tube bobbins may have this problem. I've never had any problem with my metal tube bobbins from Matarelli.

I think quality bobbins should last you a lifetime. I've been using Matarelli bobbins for over 30 years. I started tying in the 1970's well before ceramic tubes. The Materelli's are still going strong.

Ceramic is much harder than steel but they can shatter if dropped on cement or tile. It can be a sad day if you drop a $45 Norvise Bobbin on a hard surface.

ive been using the same cheap india steel bobbin for more than 10 years without issues, but would thread a new one if i would buy another one, just to see whether they are ok. looking into other bobbins with thread tension adjustment, but not yet sure which one to buy, so far i just bend my old bobbin to adjust

well when I first started to tie I used the cheepy metal bobbins, after a bunch of flies it started to break my thread.so every so often I would get a new one.then I finely broke down and got a good one with a ceramic tube , and never looked back.Now the only time I break thread it is my fault.

Ceramic is much harder than steel but they can shatter if dropped on cement or tile. It can be a sad day if you drop a $45 Norvise Bobbin on a hard surface.

That's why I have several of them :) Actually, the NorVise bobbin tube is not ceramic, It is some sort of composite material that has not, in my experience, been at all fragile.

On the metal bobbins, the problem might just be a burr in the tube. I remember reading about putting a piece of wire or paperclip down the tube and rotating it against the inner surface to clean out burrs. I also recall people using small glass beads attached to the tip of the metal tube with some epoxy to create a ceramic-like end. I have a bunch of cheap metal bobbins that never gave me any trouble. I guess it is just the luck of the draw.

I have never bought a bobbin. I have always made them. Way back in the dark ages when I was but a kid and learning to tie there were no ceramic bobbins and a good steel bobbin was way out of my price range. I tied with road kill and with the hair any animal that would sit still too long. My first bobbins were made from plastic beads, coat hanger wire and a glass eye dropper tube. That silly little thing is still in my dresser drawer and after 30 years it has never cut thread. I then went to a metal tube that had a delrin tip I turned on my lathe. Now I am making my own ceramic bobbins. If I was to buy a bobbin it would be the Nor Bobbin.

Just my history with Bobbins, Paul

If you want to salvage that metal bobbin get a tiny glass bead like an 11/0 and glue it into the tip. If need a bobbin shoot me your mailing address and I send you one.

Paul