Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MTFlyJunkie

Tippet Rings?

I have them on a couple furled leaders and I've noticed nothing that impedes the leader. No hinging, etc.

I wont use them anymore on my furled leaders so if anyone wants my supply let me know and I will stick them in an envelope. On the really fine furled leaders I so often make them have a very negative effect.

Paul

been using NICHE PRODUCTS 2mm tippet rings that i purchassed from J Stockard about 5 years ago. I use them to add tippet to hand tied mono trout leaders. Never had one fail distort or sink my fly. They are the bomb!!!

Skinny

Here is my philosophy and it is based on experience. On very light furled leaders like i often make for UL fly fishing the leader is too weak to just thread them on. Just threading them on will not give enough strands to support the ring. Since they cannot be simply threaded on they must be larksheaded to the tip. This is is not real easy when using the really tiny rings it also gets a little bulky. On larger leaders they work very well but on the really light leaders I prefer a shorb loop so I have gone to the shorb loop on all my leaders.

Paul

I have been using these for both mono and fluro applications since they first became available, a number of years ago (different packaging)...I save a ton of $$$$ on leaders:

Tippet-Rings-600.jpg

...and yes, they do not sink the leader...I keep the ring on the dispenser while I attach it to the leader with a Uni knot...

PT/TB ;)