Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Piker20

Salt water pattern

Has anyone here tied or tried a pattern for salt species that resembles the tiny sand hopping creatures? In the UK some people call the sand fleas. Not sure what the name in US might be, hopefully this pic helps. They would prob be a size 16 hook. Not much bigger.post-42518-0-68932400-1334583391_thumb.jpg

Over here, they're called mole crabs, or at least I think that's what you have. - the males are tiny compared to the females, and are usually referred to as sand fleas. The sexual dimorphism can be so extreme that it's hard to imagine that they're the same species. They're burrowers that tumble around in the surf, and are a good source of food for striped bass, etc. There are lots of flies that imitate the females, but like you said, the males would require a fly that would be more at home in trout water. Here's what I use.

BTW - I forgot to mention that the eyes on the lower fly are bigger than I normally would use. I haven't swum that one yet - there's always the chance that the hook would flip. All you really need are burnt mono dipped in epoxy or small plastic beads.

post-281-0-14682500-1334585918_thumb.jpg

Ole Florida Fly Shop in Boca Raton (oleflorida.com) sells a pretty good imitation tied in the store.

Sand Fleas are pompano's favorite snack.

I see loads of the little ones on my local beaches. We don't have mullet this far north or so I'm told. Plenty of sea trout and bass becoming more common. Lots of flat fish species. Just so many of the flea things that the fish must eat them. I saw the great big things on google but most references are to the states. Never seen anything that big on our beaches. I've tried a small grub pattern a few times but no joy yet.

Try searching 'mole crab'. You should find several patterns but they are of the larger bugs which must be the females. Surf fisherman use live ones for pompano in the panhandle of FL.

After further hunting turns out the creature called a sand flea here in UK should be called a sandhopper or Talitrus saltator for the educated out there. Completely different species to the US one. I still might look at the patterns you guys have a downscale them and see where it goes.

Yeah, that's a different critter all right. You could always tie a few a little oversized, say on a #6 or #8 hook and see what happens. Can't hurt to give it a shot. Check the bottom right of the page on the link - this is Tom Lentz' sand flea pattern that's been around for a long time. It might be a good place to start.

http://forums.flytyer.com/forum/35-fly-tyer-magazine/22680-reference-flytyer-vol-7-issue-1-spring-1984

Loved the sandflea mole crab posts. Anyone have experience catching pompano in the surf? What techniques would you suggest?

Update:

Down at the beach today and as the tide receded there were some larger sand fleas. About size 10 or even an 8 at a push. Next problem will be achieving the pale peach see-through look. Thinking of using some pale icelandic wool in a split thread. Any advice?

What I've done in the past for bonefish flies when I wanted a fairly transparent body with a bit of color inside was to tie in a small amount of wool in the color desired (just a single course on the hook shank), then over-wrap it and build it up to the body size desired with clear monofilament (Usually re-cycled 2, 4, or 6lb mono that had already served a life on a small spinning reel). The built up body is tied off, then clear coated (I like FlexCoat, a rodbuilder's two part finish that has a consistency like honey). Shouldn't be hard to get the same results with less exotic finishes. If done properly the individual strands of monofilament disappear so thoroughly into the finish that it looks as though you cast the body out of some kind of liquid plastic.... I'll have to look to see if I still have any or a photo or two. Hope this helps.

Tight Lines

Bob LeMay

(954) 435-5666

Yeah thats a good idea. I was looking at some pale beading cord which becomes paler the more its stretched too. I think the icelandic wool I have has enough creamy peach in it to give the gist and I'll add a small dark abdominal spot that the naturals have.

Do you know if the same effect is achieved with the UV resins as with the flexcoat?

Hopefully post up some attempts when I've sorted out my tying station. Moving it all into a summerhouse at the bottom of the garden.